Base layer for patio

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've decided to dig up our lawn and lay a patio...originally, after a visit to the shop we were going to put 4inches of hardcore down etc etc. However, I'm sure that once upon a time (I think on Ground Force!) I saw them simply mix some sort of powdered conrete/mix into the soil and that the moisture in the soil set it hard enough to lay sand across the top and the slabs on top of the sand - I know this isn't the best idea, but money is incredibly tight and so is time.....can anyone tell me if this is an idea that has merit....???

Sponsored Links
You can assume they did a crap job, whatever got it done quickest for the show etc.

To make a comparable base in lean mix concrete versus hardcore would be about twice the cost for materials, because of the cement needed and take twice as long because you have to mix it. Hardcore is just thrown down and plated.

Lean mix is only used in higher spec situations its not cheaper or easier.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back