Basic guidance for ex-council permission process

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently bought an ex-council flat and I want to make some changes.

1) The lease says I have to get the landlord's permission to remove landlord's fixtures & fittings; would that include things like skirtings, light switches, sockets, bathroom suite, kitchen furniture?

2) I want to knock down the wall between bathroom & toilet, in what order do I apply for Planning Permission, Building Control & landlord's permission? Any ideas on timescale? Do builders ever apply on behalf the client or do I have to do it myself? Which seems daunting as I've never done anything like this.

Thank you for any help!

Sponsored Links
Technically all those things are fixtures and fittings; it seems overkill though when you presumably have a very long lease.
Removal of the wall would require building control approval and landlord's permission.

Builder's don't usually (ever?) apply for planning but you should get structural plans drawn up by an SE or suitably qualified professional, because BC will want to see these (unless maybe it is a non structural wall).

Seek the Council's permission first because without it you are wasting your money or risk the Council taking legal action.

Blup

You should check your lease to see what is demised ie what is yours and what is the landlord's.

Typically, you own everything between the external wall faces within your flat, so that is the plaster and skirting and partition walls, all internal services and the bathroom and kitchen suites. So you would not normally need landlord permission to for the work you propose, as they are not landlord's fixtures or fittings.

You don't need planning permission.

You only need building regulation permission if the wall is a structural, load bearing wall.

If landlord permission is required, obtain that first.

Builders can do what you instruct them to do and pay them for. Whist they can (if experienced) apply for the permissions, ultimately it's your responsibility to ensure that any necessary approvals are obtained and work done complies.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for your replies.

Re. the wall, two builders have told me it doesn't appear to be structurally required.

I also want to request permission to have the gas meter lowered 150cm. Can I put this on the same licence request, to save paying the fee more than once?

What 'plans' would the landlord, the planning & the BC typically need for this? a picture of how it looks now and/or a written quotation from the energy provider?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back