Bath and basin waste problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my bathroom I have had over the years continual problems with water backflowing up through the bath sink when draining the basin as well as the bath taking long periods to drain. Yes it has not been helped on occasions when slight blockages occur but I feel that its never been quite right at any time. I am at this time replacing the bathroom suite and want to try tp resolve that matter completely, the bath and basin share the same waste pipe which has a run of some 2 metres almost before it enters the main waste and as you can imagine there is a poor angle on the pipe. Would my best option be an in line non return valve placed just before the tee were the basin waste enters, or are there greater problems with these as I have been advised they need regular cleaning.

Sponsored Links
i would be tempted to try to clean the waste pipe at the soil connection when you have the pipes disconnected anyway, even if it meant cutting the waste near the stack and getting a bending spring in to clear it completely

you can use anti vac traps will help.

How?

Sounds to me like there is hardly any fall on the run, possible even negative between the basin and bath causing the back flow into the bath.

Lift the bath up and inch or two if possible and re-run the main length of waste in 50mm.

Sponsored Links
don't need a 50mm pipe run for a bath/basin on a 2m run
we know it has no fall thats why it was said fit the new pipe with correct fall.
and you can use anti vac traps will stop and syphonage of the traps being pulled.
and fit a proper trap not a shallow bath trap

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back