Bath fitting - some questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just about to complete the fitting of a new bath. All is going well so far (!) but a couple of concerns/questions if I may;

The bath tap (monobloc mixer) is suitable for low pressure systems (as ours is) but the factory supplied tails that come with the tap are in 15mm, whereas my pipework from the hot and cold tank/cylinder is in 22mm. Is that going to restrict flow at all? Should I replace with 22mm?

The bath waste will run into a hopper initially but eventually I want to run it into the main downpipe and ditch the knackered hopper pipe which runs in front of a window. So, I understand I need a deep seal bath trap, is that right? So, how do I get that in underneath the bath waste outlet with limited clearance from the floor? The previous bath had a hole cut in the floor for the trap to sit in - is this the only way for me to do this too?

Cheers

JD

Sponsored Links
i would go with 22 pipework for the hot at least (assuming the cold is mains pressure)

is ur floor floorboards ? if so just cut them where necesary.

No need for a deep seal trap on a bath if it is discharging into a gulley / hopper. :D

Thanks for the reply JPC.

I've run the cold supply from the cold tank now, it was previously run from the mains direct but I didn't think the pressure would be equal enough at the tap.

The floor is 18mm wbp screwed down to reinforce under the bath to the floorboards. I guess I can cut a section away but wondered if there was a better method/product. Cutting a hole isn't particularly great for sound deadening either.

JD

Sponsored Links
No need for a deep seal trap on a bath if it is discharging into a gulley / hopper. icon_biggrin.gif
Yeah but I want to run the pipe into a soil stack eventually and get rid of the hopper pipe which is knackered and in the way.

JD

stick with a shallow one and fit a inline self sealing one in the piperun further down

Fit Hepworth waste valve with 90degree adapter straight onto bath waste/overflow fitting......... :idea: ;)

You certainly need a vent, but you can get bath traps with them if you look. Also the ones with an extended horizontal section give a "seal" which is more effective than it measures.
The Hep doobrie is good too, I've used them on washing machine pipes and they don't seem to resist the flow much (or the standpipe would flood).

These are cheaper, though the vent can hit the bath... :
15515.gif

Thanks guys for all the replies.

stick with a shallow one and fit a inline self sealing one in the piperun further down
What's a self sealing one?
Fit Hepworth waste valve with 90degree adapter straight onto bath waste/overflow fitting.........
I'll have a look at the hepworth website if they have one, would this arrangement allow the trap to sit away from the bottom of the bath - is that the idea?
You certainly need a vent,
Why's that then ChrisR? I was acutally going to fit anti syphon valves as eventually I want to join the bath and basin wastes up outside and run them jointly into the soil stack. And by the way what's a doobrie?

OK too many questions I know! Many thanks again.

JD

Where can you get hepworth products - all the local counters seem to stock marley.

JD

OK - so the bath is in but to be honest whilst we could live with the lack of pressure it does take a while to fill the bath up. I guess my next option is to install a pump is it? Can anyone then recommend one or at least a make of pump to narrow it down a bit?

Many thanks

JD

Thanks for the link. Blimey they're expensive! Is that really the going price - I was expecting the best part of £200 but not £300/£400 and above.

For running the bath/taps etc what bar rating should I go for?

One more question - the power shower pump I had in my last house was by stuart turner and made one hell of a racket - are these ones quiet?

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back