Bath Install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, roof done. Solid as a rock and dry as a bone. Onto the bathroom.

Bit of a logistics issue here. The bathroom is 1710mm wide from block wall to block wall with all plaster and render removed.

We are looking to get a bath to 1700mm long and install it in this gap.

Walls above bath will be tiled to the ceiling.

Naturally, there isn't enough room to plaster the walls before we put the bath in.

Looking for options here, so far, I've only got one, and that's to fit bath, then plaster walls around it accepting that the plaster will be past the edge.

Only problem is, I don't know what the logistics will be with regard to fitting panels, chances of leaks... etc

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Fubar.

Sponsored Links
I would measure the estimated finished height of the bath, normally around the 530mm-550mm (check the size of your bath panel and account for that ;)).
Then board/plaster area (remember plasterboard or cement boards don't require plaster to be tiled on and carry more tile weight without plaster)
Then you can slide bath in beneath boarded/plastered wall, if your canny you could even do a little bit of the tiling prior to sliding bath in.
The bath can be sealed using a good quality silicon, to prevent moisture ingress down sides of bath.

Kinda see what your getting at. So, only board above where the bath will be. Slide it in, then do the area to the side of it.

Makes sense to save the bath from being plastered / boarded above. But shame I can't do all the plastering before hand.

Lots of silicone. And a decent bath edge trim tucked up underneath the tiles.

Cheers,
Fubar.

Walls above bath will be tiled to the ceiling.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Fubar.
As per what Prenticeboy said - definitely use cement board screwed to the walls - use special screws, not zinc plated - Plaster/set then tile is a pointless exercise , if you really want a wet trade then tiles should be stuck to sand/cement render ;) you can use Classi seal round the bath , up behind the tiles , then the bath can sink 5 mm on the floor and it`ll still be watertight :idea: just needing a new bead of silicone which is purely cosmetic .

Sponsored Links
Fine to Classi seal teh back of the bath, but how does that work with the ends as the seal will have to come in to get over the cement board?
Cheers,
Fubar.

I`d put it behind the cement board . Worst case scenario is water trickes out @ the front of the bath (facing the room ) @ each end - then you might have to re do some grouting on the tiles ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back