Bath pipe advice

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I think this was discussed before but I can't find the thread after a lot of searching...

So for the hot water I currently have a 15mm pipe with a valve on it for the bath. It was mentioned that with my 0.1 bar pressure this will take ages to fill a bath.

I think one suggestion was to put on a compression or Speedfit connector straight onto the pipe, making it 15mm to 22mm. So effectively, the pipe will never be less than 15mm as it is now.

Another possible option would be to run a new 22mm pipe from the loft above, as there is a plastic pipe sitting there that was feeding the old shower. This will mean more plumbing work though.

The bath will be occasional (probably), mostly used by my wife. But in theory that could change. Wondering if sensible to run a new flexi pipe from the existing 22mm in the loft above.

IMG_20220412_151349115 (1).jpg

I could run the new pipe down here and across under the joists.

IMG_20220414_210318646.jpg

IMG_20220412_151400145 (1).jpg

Although, I assume I will still need loads of connectors in the loft and floor as those plastic pipes are not that flexible.

Money is tight. My plumber is busy for next 10 weeks.

So maybe the compression fitting over the 15mm pipe is the best option, so I can get this bathroom finished.... should be done before summer, but currently not going to happen unless I DIY the plumbing ...

Sponsored Links
Get rid of your plumber, all pipe work should be in 22mm.

He is not busy, he doesn't want to continue on your job.

Andy

Sponsored Links
There were 2 plumbers. The first replaced some corroded 15mm pipes with what is there now at my request (OK, he should have advised to upgrade the hot water).
The 2nd is my heating engineer who is genuinely busy, I think!

Maybe I should just try to get somebody else in though ...

Here it is. HW pressure was measured as 0.1 bar previously.

IMG_20191015_201107175.jpg

All pipe work from the top of your cylinder needs to be 22mm to the bath taps and then branch off to the basin and kitchen sink.

Andy

To maximise flow then as suggested, 22mm all the way from the Cold Water cistern and HW cylinder right into the bottom of the tap.

That and make sure you fit full flow taps. Either individual taps or a deck mixer, don't use 1/4 turn or monomixers and flexi's as they will restrict the flow too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back