Bath problem with mixer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone :)

I have a bath and shower mixer and it doesn't seem to work. When I pull the knob, to get the water to the shower head it doesn't seem to budge.

I am going to call a local plumber round, do you think he'll be able to free it?

If not, and I need a new mixer, are there any good recommendations, I don't want a flashy one but a mid price one may be fine :) Also would price roughly would it cost, excluding the new mixer, to fit, etc? £100-200?

Thanks for your help

Liz

Sponsored Links
it sounds like the water pressure is to low to raise the water to the shower head. this can happen when the hot tank is on the same level as the taps. im only guessing you have a hot water cylinder and not a combi boiler. in which case you may need to fit a shower pump

Thank you for replying

The pressure is ok from the bath taps, but no water gets to the shower head as the knob doesn't pull up and divert it. :cry:

I have a cylinder and a cold water tank in the loft.

In that case it will be the tap at fault. If you knew the make and model you should be able to get the valve to replace it or simply a new set of mixer taps :)

Sponsored Links
i don't know the model I am sorry, but it has a knob you lift. Can it be freed?? If I get a new set, what sort of price would i expect to pay for labour etc? I don't mind paying a fair price. Also any decent new mixer's you would recommend, I have a screwfix catalgoue here :)

But if it can be freed it would be great :)

Hi
Replacing individual parts on older taps can be more expensive in some instances than buying altogether new. With the added disadvantage it might not work.

HTH

first turn the water off to the taps. if you have isolators on the pipes under the bath all the better, if not turn off water from the cylinder and header tank located in the airing cubourd. if the knob has a cover you will see a small allen key,take this out. in any event there will be a nut holding the plunger in place. undo the nut and the plunger will pop out (hopefully) give it a good cleaning and rub some petrolium gelly on the washers and oving parts. reassemble and give it a few pulls and pushes before turning water back on

Thanks for your help yesterday I apprecaited it a lot. I have just been looking at the mixer today and noticed there doesn't seem to be any nut around the diverter knob :cry:

Is there anything else I can do to try and free it whilst I am in today?

Hi .. these plungers are always have a nut or are threaded in. you may need to get a pair of grips on the plunger and try to turn it. does the knob turn? if so it should twist off and i suspect the nut is under that.
if you cant suss it out give me a call and i will try to talk through it 07875720162

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back