Bath surround and seal problem.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Around our bath we had a row of mosaic tiles that are tiled over the top of the tiled wall. Over time the grout has cracked and water has got behind so I removed them over the weekend.

Behind the titles were wet and the grout crumbled off easily but I’ve discovered a large gap at the tap/shower end of the bath where it meets the wall.

The whole job looks to be rubbish as the tiles on the wall aren’t great either and the tiles look to have been put in before the bath, so on the long side the tiles sit behind the bath rather than sitting flush over the bath edge.

What should I do about the gap and what is the best way to seal the bath as it currently is?

My thinking at the moment is to start again removing the tiles and fitting the bath again.

Thanks,
Simon

Sponsored Links
My thinking at the moment is to start again removing the tiles and fitting the bath again.
Probably your best bet; leave a 2mm gap for a silicone bead, apply with the bath full & leave over night to set. Whoever did the tiling didn’t plan it out very well; leaving such thin tile slivers above the bath never looks good, probably why the mosaics were stuck on there. It may look better if you fit another border mosaic but this time to the wall rather than over tiles then, hopefully, it won’t fail as before. What’s the wall made of behind the tiles? Is it sound? You should let it dry out thoroughly before re-tiling & use only quality tiling materials; the own brand & DIY stuff is mostly crap.

I would consider removing the tiles from behind the lip of the tub, and jacking up the whole bath to close up the gap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back