bath under a window???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not sure if this belongs here or in the plumbing section as ithas to do with building regs.. not strictly plumbing...

Is there any rules for putting baths and showers etc in front of or partialy in front of a window?

obviously the window will have to be frosted / opaque but that should be standard in a bathroom anyway surely..

I ask because i want to change the bath I have at the moment and put in one of those P shaped baths for showering.

the problem I have is that the door opens right next to the bath at the end the shower is now, so i can't put the P end at that end as it sticks out more..

If I put the P end at the other end of the bath, It will protrude past the edge of the window by about 18 inches ( the bath already sits about 10 inches under the window, but the shower head is the other end.. )

since the screen is glass it shouldn't be a problem for blocking light, but there is always the problem of slipping in the shower and putting your hand through the window..

Sponsored Links
Go for it, I am a plumber and see tons of baths in this position, may be right, may be wrong? I have a WC in front of my opening window, you can see my ^*(%$ from street if looking up at the right angle!

There building regs cover the location of baths in terms of waste pipe runs, but not windows.

Its more about practicality rather than regulation

hmmm. saw something on tv about it..

maybe it was "This Old House".. or one of those other american shows...

thanks anyway.. as long as no one tells me I can't by the weekend then it's a goer.. :D

Sponsored Links
Hi. I have a similar question to the OP. I'm a plumber. A customer wants a bath moving through 90 degrees in order to fit a shower cubicle where the bath currently is.

The proposed new position for the bath is alongside the wall with the window in. Sill height is marginally above bath rim. The window is big enough for an adult to fall through, if slipping in the bath. The window is old, singled glazed and they have no plans to replace this. The window would be more or less at the centre of the length of the bath.

I've rung the Health and Safety Exec, who were no help, and tried various depts in my local council only to be put through to the correct dept after they finished for the day - back monday morning.

Water regs make no mention of window proximity to a bath .. seems an obvious hazard to me - slipping and falling out of a bath onto the floor is one thing - but through a first floor window quite another.

Anyone got a hard and fast answer to this one?
I'd rather 'slide' the position of the current bath into the corner opposite the window and place a mixer shower and screen over, but, customers know best ...

Cheers,
Jim

Forget about HSE its a matter for building control and they could potential insist on laminated glass but i doubt it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back