Bathroom Ceiling - To plaster or Not to plaster...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
...that is the question!

I have an old 1930's house where the ceiling in the bathroom has been boarded and then artexed, the moisture in the bathroom has affected the artex and it has now started to peel off and leave an unsightly mess behind!

I want to fit a new plasterboard ceiling, just 3x2 round the edges and across and then fit plasterboard to the 3x2.

the question is...

1) do I have to skim the plasterboard before painting with a bathroom paint, or can i paint straight onto the plasterboard and just fill in the joints?

2) Is there any issue with damp that i should be aware of when fitting a new ceiling in the bathroom (i.e. i dont want mold growing behind the new ceiling!!)

I hope i have posted this in the right forum...thanks in advance for your help.

TVM

Sponsored Links
Hello, firstly there is no need to batten out the edges, just go straight over the old and up into the joists with drywall screws. Then tape and fill the joints, go onto you tube and watch a few videos on tape and filling to give you an idea.

When it comes to painting, make sure you give it a mist coat first about 70% Matt emulsion 30% water (cheap stuff will do)

Forgot to add give the ceiling a wash with diluted bleach and make sure the ceiling is dry before boarding over, you could even use a foil backed plaster board if you are worried. Think about having an extractor fan installed if you haven't already.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back