Bathroom Condensation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

This should be the last question for 2003, unless the bathroom and kitchen fall apart tomorrow...lol.

In the bathroom (recently refurbished) the toilet is still the original cistern and pan (they were in good nick so didnt see the sense in getting rid) made of ceramic. The problem is: even when the rest of the bathroom is not having condensation problems the cistern is dripping condensation of its face, the condensation goes up the outside to the level of the water inside so obviously the water is colder and reacting with the warm air in the bathroom (top marks i'm not totally stoopid) but the question is how do i stop it? is there a simple answer that im missing. I've got access to all the water pipework in the eaves if thats any help.

Answers on a postcard to....

All answers will be gratefully received... and by the way

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYBODY.

Dinger

Sponsored Links
Haven't got a postcard so I type it here.

(1) Sadly no, there nothing you can do apart from getting rid of the cistern and use the bucket full of water to flush the toilet. :LOL:
(2) I've seen a cistern tray type which clip onto the pipe underneath to collect the water onto it to stop the hose pipe ban :LOL:

(3) Or change it to a plastic cistern which doesn't have too much condensation :eek:

(3) Also I have known people to put in polystyrene foam inside the cistern to make it warmer on the outside,be prepare for a flood if the ballcock jammed up. :LOL:

Oh happy days,sorry I meant ' Happy New Year' :D

Masona,

Thanx for the good news m8, havnt you got anything better to do? I didn't think I would get a reply until after the new year... only joking m8 thanx.

Have a good new year and keep those answers comming.

Dinger

There is one guaranteed way of stopping the condensation and that is to pipe up your cistern to the hot supply. Ok , stop laughing you lot, I didn't say it was a very practical answer did I ? Mind you the toilet will stay a lot cleaner.

Sponsored Links
DAZB said:
There is one guaranteed way of stopping the condensation and that is to pipe up your cistern to the hot supply.
They do this in Spain and others country,not sure why though.

Also see this.

OK, I am going to try to think this one through logically. The water coming into your cistern may well be cold, but according to the second law of thermodynamics heat flows from a hotter body to a cooler body and will do so until they reach equilibrium. So what happens if you don't flush the toilet for a few hours?

If after a few hours moisture is still condensing it would suggest to me that it might be more fruitful to look at your ventilation. I often find that even extract fans with 15l/m capacity with a 15 minute overrun (your typical bathroom fan) isn't really adequate without a humidistat control, particularly in bathrooms with showers and/or poor heating.

Sorry GwaiLo, - trivia time. The people who built the small estate where I live actually plumbed one my neighbours toilets into the hot water system. By all accounts this only made the condensation worse due to the amount of steam rising from the bowl!!! :LOL: :LOL:

Haha. I've been trying to figure out why they would do it in Spain?

Perhaps its a space saving concept and you can just do away with the washbasin ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back