Bathroom Decoating Help Needed >>> Humidity/Blister

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have used DIYnot for a long while as my first port of call to a host of questions so you could say I am a long time listener but first time caller :LOL:

We are in the final stages of bathroom overhaul and all has been going well bar a section of wall that seems to want to cause me a ulcer!

We clearly have a cold spot where too exterior walls meet. Despite there being an extractor fan and decent ventilation (room is aired daily) we get a build up of condensation after a bath.

This condensation is playing havoc with the Crown bathroom paint being used.

The paint went on just before Christmas and dried properly ( we didn't use the bathroom whilst we painted ). By mid Jan the condensation had resulted in the paint almost reverting back to liquid form. A wipe with cloth saw most of it (in this corner) come off!

No other issues in the rest of the bathroom.

Walls were originally papered. We removed the paper, cleaned the walls of any remaining residue and sanded the paint finish under the paper. This paint (the base paint) seems to be fine and is completely intact.

I have sanded the affected area back down, washed away dirt any residual dirt and reapplied a coat of the Crown paint again last night.

This morning I applied a second coat. This seems reluctant to dry and has bubbled like before ^^.

I have added some additional warmth to the room but its ambient temperature is well within the tolerance suggested by the manufacturer.

I feel in a few weeks I am going to be re doing this section.

So if you got this far ...... thank you :cool:

But what am I going wrong?

Wall isn't damp. Only a certain area halfway up and down is affected.

Do I use/need a product like Zinsser 123?

All help much appreciated.

MArk

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Its very resistant to water, ie your condensation will run down the wall or you can wipe it off

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back