Bathroom door won't hang

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
wooden door, approx. 14 years old. The door won't fasten to the hinges. I've tried putting polyfilla to fill the holes where the screws go (but seems a bit of a bottomless pit) and I've tried packing the screw holes with cocktail sticks , to get a bit more purchase for the screws. It's worked a bit but only a matter of time before they come off again.

Is there a solution out there or do I just need to buy a new door. All suggestions gratefully accepted.

Sponsored Links
Drill a bigger hole tap in a bit of wood dowel coated with glue, let it set and drill a pilot hole in the dowel first before fitting the screw.(y)

You could try relocating the hinge on the door and frame so the holes align differently, in conjunction with a different size hinge if that helps.

Blup

only use short fully threaded screws probably no7x1 1/4"or no7x1 1/2"

Sponsored Links
Drill a bigger hole tap in a bit of wood dowel coated with glue, let it set and drill a pilot hole in the dowel first before fitting the screw.(y)

Fully agree with this, I had the same problem with an outside gate, after some research found that the way to make the wood-filled hope stronger is to add wood glue. Hasn’t budged since.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back