Bathroom Extractor Dripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've got a Screwfix cheap and cheerful extractor with timer mounted in the ceiling next to our shower. It has an added simple non-return flap inline to reduce the back-draft and then a flex-pipe to an opening in the roof.

When it is very cold outside (like now, at -6DegC), water drips from the ceiling vent, onto the carpet.

I presume the warm air from the house is condensing in the pipe that is in the loft and so is trickling back down and into the bathroom.

Any ideas on the fix? Is there a better way to extract air? If using the same kit then I guess trying to make the extract pipe more U shaped will simply allow the pipe to fill with moisture which I guess will end badly.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Would agree with Woody, wrap the pipe with insulation or run it under the loft insulation, I have been to jobs where a dip in the extract pipe has completely filled with water!. You could also try running the duct vertically from the bathroom vent for a foot or two then have a continuous gradient down towards the exit point.

I've got a roll of insulation knocking around somewhere so will give that a go, thanks!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back