Bathroom Extractor Fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently acquired a new bathroom extractor fan which has a humidistat and a run on timer built in which my old one didnt.

The fan is wired through a fan isolator located just outside the bathroom adjacent the lightswitch. I have installed the new fan but doesnt seem to be working correctly, when I switch on the lightswitch the fan comes on and switching off the lightswitch the fan just goes off, so obviously the run on timer is not wired correctly.

The existing wiring from the isolator is red/yellow/blue cables, which I took to be red-live, yellow-switch live, blue-neutral. I have wired these per the instructions but the timer still does not operate.

Does anyone know why the run on timer would not be operating, could it be to do with the wiring at the isolator?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If the old fan did not have a timer, how do you know it was wired up so that you could put one in later?
You would need to get a mains tester and see if your assumption re wiring colours is correct. I do not mean a neon screwdriver. you need to determine which is really neutral and you'll need a proper tester or multimeter to do that.
If it is wired correctly, make sure the timer adjustment isnt set to minimum (they usually are, for test purposes), Wind it up a minute or two and try again.
If not have a look at the humidistat adjustment.

Do all the messing around with the isolator OFF then turn it on to test!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back