Bathroom extractors on windy nights.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wasn't sure where to post this so hopefully this is in the right place. Posting on here in the hope that I can get a good night sleep this winter - please help! We have an en suite and when the wind is in the right direction the extractor bangs - or rather 'clonks' so much that it keeps you awake all night. There are 2 sounds I can hear when it;s windy - the rattle of the exterior slatted vent on the outside of the house and then this more bassy, clonky noise. It's coming from up inside the extractor pipe. I've been up in the loft and can see two white plastic extractor tubes and then a solid grey one - which I think is the one coming up from the en-suite. The other two are from the main bathroom and the downstairs toilet. I'm guessing inside the grey plastic one one is the same white plastic tubing that I can see if I peer into the extractor grill in the ceiling. So what is the clonking sound? it almost sounds like a disc pivoting along it's axis which is rotating when the wind blows into it? It seems to be a lot better when I pull the light switch and the extractor kicks in?

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can stop this darn noise??!

Sponsored Links
This would replace the slats on the outside of the house - but this is a different noise to the 'clonking' noise. The slats blowing in the wind I can deal with - it's the deeper more bassy noise that is disturbing? What is it that is doing this? I can't believe other people don't get this noise - I thought it would be a common problem?

Sponsored Links
Could be inward airfloow 'bellowing' through the plastic tubing?

I would think that a hood to restrict inward airflow would result in eliminating whatever it is causing the noise anyway?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back