Bathroom Fan Recommendation

Thanks for all the replies.

The Soler & Palau fans look really good - I notice from the TLC website a comment that these were previously known as the Vent Axia ACM - looking at the ACM100T it appears to have a better flow rate than the current equivalent from Soler & Palau and can be picked up marginally cheaper so seems likely I will go for that.

I assume I can couple this with a vent similar to the below in the bathroom:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004X4RKL6/
and an outside vent of some type, all coupled together with flexible ducting?

Does anyone have any recommendations what I fit in terms of backdraught vents? I know you can get external vents with gravity flaps and cowls to prevent them rattling in the wind, is this the way to go or am I best with a plain vent on the outside and fit an inline back draught shutter? If I go with the latter where should this be fitted relative to the fan?

Also on an electrical note, I'd like to wire the fan to come on with the light with an overrun timer, however I don't tend to use the bathroom light through the spring and summer. Is there any way to wire up a timer fan such that it can be triggered by the lights but also fit a separate pull switch to trigger it manually when the lights aren't in use? Or am I over complicating things and should just fit a separate switch for the fan and operate it manually?

Sponsored Links
my favourite is the cowl vent.

my unfavourite is the one with multiple flaps like a ventian blind, which rattle constantly until they fall off in high winds.

You can also get an "accessory" non-return valve, which has two flaps of very light plastic that open and shut like a butterfly's wings. They take next to no force to open and shut, and seem very quiet. This is the type included on modern silent fans I have used. As an accessory it costs a few pounds. Think it might have been about £4. It will fit straight on the spigot of some fans, but you are making a bit of a gamble if it is not the same make.

As for the light switch, you could include a "momentary switch" to start the fan and flick the lights on for a fraction. It works like a doorbell button and only passes current while you press it.

having the fan start when the lights go on is usually very convenient, it will happen when it's dark, and more often in winter when days are short and dull, without you having to think about it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back