Bathroom Floor Material

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have taken the bathroom out and the flooring up to put a new one in

just a question regarding the floor.
On top of the floor boards, what do I need to put down. Have read on line and there is no clear answer and wondered if anyone could share.
The existing one looked like 2 to 3mm marine ply.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Vinyl I believe. What would I need if tile or vinyl? Thank you

Sponsored Links
@ktuludays For a moment there I wondered what "nomo reply" was..

@Yorkblade When you say "floorboards" what do you mean? If you've put eggerdeck down, I'd just vinyl straight onto it. If by vinyl you mean LVT, I'd pay attention to waterproofing the joints in the boards..

Thanks for the replies. When we took the bathroom out we took up the vinyl, the 3mm board which left the floor boards. Typical boards of a 1960s house I believe. Tiles would be nice but I am just concerned about a lip it could leave to the hallway carpet. Say if the 18mm ply was put on top of the floor boards and then tiles on top

Tiles would be nice but I am just concerned about a lip it could leave to the hallway carpet
Decorative wooden ramps exist to manage this transition (but if you rip the floorboards out and replace with eg 18mm sheet/board then tile it, it should be minimal)

What is your joist spacing?

Decorative wooden ramps exist to manage this transition (but if you rip the floorboards out and replace with eg 18mm sheet/board then tile it, it should be minimal)

What is your joist spacing?
I'll check when I get back to my house. I am pretty sure they're 600mm.

I'm with you on transition ramps to cater for different flooring heights- I really don't like them. We have carpet in our hallway so 6mm ply and karndean planks which are just over 2mm thick worked well to keep the flooring at the same height. For this particular flooring, after overboarding you need to skim with a smoothing compound (very thin layer). I just finished one a couple of days ago as per attached photo if it helps with some ideas.

Attachments

• 8ADCD12A-7948-44DE-ADE1-AAA765A3FBC7.JPG
    8ADCD12A-7948-44DE-ADE1-AAA765A3FBC7.JPG
    339.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 7BA54EEA-8F57-44FC-AAD0-D67E88D5232B.jpeg
    7BA54EEA-8F57-44FC-AAD0-D67E88D5232B.jpeg
    234.3 KB · Views: 32

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back