bathroom has no separate stop cock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The main stop cock for our place is underneath the floor in the lounge. Obviously that room was originally used for another purpose (old Victorian place).
Now, the only place with stop cocks is the kitchen.
To do any work in the bathroom we have to turn off the pipe in the street, which is not ideal for the flat upstairs.

How easy is it to cut out a bit of the current piping and install a stop cock to the bathroom fittings ?

Sponsored Links
Yeah, the 2nd one will do. The compression ones are easier to fit to wet pipes aren't they?
So, is it:
- cut out the correct length of pipe and
- fit in the compression valve.

Presumably you need a bit of leeway in moving the pipe to get this all to align correctly ?

fit them upto about 500 mm below where the applience is going to go, then use flexy hoses to connect the appliences.

just ensure they are accesible when everythings inplace, if the shutoff screw is facing the wall it's no good really

Sponsored Links
Slight problem in our bathroom in that all the pipes are boxed away by the wall.
The toilet inlet has a small area where I might be bale to fit this but it would be fairly tight...

I took the front of the bath cover off and it looks like all the pipes come in from there so might be able to cut out a section from each of those pipes and put in the stop valves instead ?

:?:

If your changing the WC it will need an iso valve on even if you don't put one on any of the others.

How much of the pipe should I cut out?
Say the iso valve is 100mm in length, the pipe material I cut out will have to be slightly less than that won't it ?

about 40mm, say about 30mm for each side for the pipe to sit into, their should be a bit of give on the pipe in the floor also.

maybe you should get someone out to do the work you want doing, might be easier

wonderb0y said:
about 40mm, say about 30mm for each side for the pipe to sit into, their should be a bit of give on the pipe in the floor also.

maybe you should get someone out to do the work you want doing, might be easier

...but nowhere near as much of an adventure ;)
Seriously, I might consider it but costs in London aren't that cheap or these types of things.

Is a hacksaw / power saw the best way of cutting the pipe? As it is already wall mounted, I can't see anyway of getting around with a pipe cutter... :?:

lol.
Trying to cut with a hacksaw under the bath is going to be tricky. No leverage.
Any suggestions?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back