Bathroom light switch wiring help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The light switch in the bathroom has failed, it's a domed thingy on the ceiling with a pull-cord; the rocker mechanism inside has snapped.

I've bought a replacement (6 amp 2 way as per the original) but where do the wires go? The earth is obvious but I have L1, L2 and COM connections.

All help appreciated and apologies if it's a no-brainer question but I've never understood this COM malarkey :oops:

Sponsored Links
clue:

the same way as the one that is there

Or View media item 1257
Or

try it an see, which will give you 3 choices

com and L1

Com and L2

L2 and L1

makes no difference which way round the existing wire colours go

bearing in mind wht you said about earth

Sponsored Links
but I've never understood this COM malarkey :oops:

Quite simple really, the connections are made inside the switch between COMmon and L1. You operate the switch and the connection moves over so COM and L1 are no longer connected together and COM and L2 are connected together:
electrics:lighting:switches8sm.jpg

What you have is a 2 way switch, it is generally used for a light where you have more than one switch, however there is no problem using it as a single way switch wired as JJ says.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back