Bathroom light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
I have moved the on off switch from the Bathroom, it was a pull cord, i have put a light switch on the out side of the wall, on the new switch i have L1 a blank and L2,
I have wired it up with red in the L1 and Black in the L2 i put the earth in the Blank.
the fuse has blown so i switched the wires round red in L2 Black in L1 and earthed the metal box, the fuse still blows.
can any one help? :cry:

Sponsored Links
Don't put the earth in the switch!!!

Put red in 'blank' = com and black (sleeved in brown) in L1.

there is a live to eart fault on that lighting cirtuit how have u jointed the cable out and have you trpaed it in any way

How have you extended the wires? How many wires? Where exactly have you connected the earth? Can you post a pic of the back of the switch?

Sponsored Links
This kind of light switch has three contacts, C (common) L1 and L2. Inside the switch the C is either connected to L1 or to L2. So you need to put your red into C and your black (which should have a red sleeve) into L1. The earth wire should only go to the back box earth terminal.

Hi everyone, Job done thanks for your help.
I had the earth in the com space black in the L1 red in the L2,
with the earth in the com space and also earthed to the box this is what caused the short and caused the fuse to blow.
all sorted now and a pat on the back to you all.
all the best eean :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back