Bathroom light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have removed my bathroom light pendant to fit downlighters. There was a spur from the fitting to a shaver point which I removed, however, I am now left with 4 wires coming from the ceiling. Red blue yellow and earth. But the light switch is red and black! I have tested the ceiling wires and the red and yellow are live even with the switch at the off position. I am getting 150v. Help! Just need to know what wires are what.

Sponsored Links
I have removed my bathroom light pendant to fit downlighters.
Not a good start.
There was a spur from the fitting to a shaver point which I removed, however, I am now left with 4 wires coming from the ceiling. Red blue yellow and earth.
That sounds like a three core and earth cable - I am assuming you're talking about conductor insulation colours. Do you have an extraction fan in the bathroom or did you?
But the light switch is red and black! I have tested the ceiling wires and the red and yellow are live even with the switch at the off position. I am getting 150v. Help! Just need to know what wires are what.
It is possible that the red and black switch conductors are coming from and going back to a junction box or another ceiling rose before returning to the bathroom light fitting.

If the bathroom is upstairs then if you can get in the loft you can visibility trace the cables and try to figure out what the arrangement is. If the bathroom doesn't have a loft space above then you will have to utilise a multi-meter to try and establish which cables are connected to what.
Before doing such tests you much make sure the circuit is proved dead.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back