Bathroom lighting PIR with override?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

Currently fitting out an ensuite that has secondary ‘mood’ lighting in niches and also three wall lights... want to put these on a PIR (or broken beam) switch so that they are automatically switched on during the night when someone enters.

Is there a way to implement this so that it can be overidden with a switch?

My thinking is that when occupied, there will always be movement so PIR will be continually activated... there’s no bath for someone to remain still in, and it is only the mood lighting.

Main downlights are switched traditionally.

Just thinking best way round this.

Many thanks.
Dean

Sponsored Links
want to put these on a PIR (or broken beam) switch so that they are automatically switched on during the night when someone enters.
Is it too hard for that someone to work a switch?

And what will happen during hours of daylight?

Cheers BG.

So that’s a 2 gang switch just for the mood lighting? Or could it be one gang for main spots and mood and the other switch brings the PIR into play? Does that mean user having to remember to throw switch into “night mode”?

Sponsored Links
The easy option is a standard two gang switch for controlling the mood lighting and a separate switch for the main lighting.

It can be achieved with a 3 position, centre off, double pole switch but as far as I know there is not a "domestic" rocker switch with that configuration.

No-one yet seems to have mentioned that if a 'standalone' PIR is contemplated, many of them have an over-ride facility which is impolement by (fairly rapid) on-off-on operation of a switch supplying power to it.

However, as always, it's worth saying that attempts to use PIR-controlled lights indoors commonly drive the occupants mad fairly quickly!

Kind Regards, John

No-one yet seems to have mentioned that if a 'standalone' PIR is contemplated, many of them have an over-ride facility which is impolement by (fairly rapid) on-off-on operation of a switch supplying power to it.

However, as always, it's worth saying that attempts to use PIR-controlled lights indoors commonly drive the occupants mad fairly quickly!

Kind Regards, John

Thanks John. (And others).

Yes, I have outdoor PIR’s that have the on-off-on override and never use it :) so can’t see customer accepting that either ;).

I wanted to investigate this but was of the opinion that simple switching would be best and your collective inputs have corroborated that (y)

I/they don’t need the grief :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back