Bathroom quoting help and advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I've been asked to redo a bathroom, its not a friend so not after mates rates, but as its the first full bathroom i'm taking on, I was hoping some of you guys who have experience in this area could give me an idea of what to charge.

The bathroom is not square as it has one wall slightly angled. They want the walls tiled halfway up, so roughtly 12sq meters.

The floor where the corner bath and shower cubicle are has been raised, they want this raised box removed and floor all the same level, and want floor tiled. Area is roughly 7 sq meteres.

The want all old suit removed, bath, toilet, basin, shower cubicle and want it replaced with like for like new suit. They also want to change the thermostatic shower.

Below are pictures of what it looks like now.

I'm in Birmingham so would have to be rough birmigham type rates.

Sponsored Links
To be honest you have too many variables to give you even a rough idea.

Like for like doesn't really help without knowing what's there, how fast do you work, is the floor raised to allow for bath/shower drainage, will the walls need to be re-boarded or plastered after removing existing tiles, what type of tile are you going to use, have you got full control of water supplies, vacant house or occupied (makes a big difference!), one WC or do you need to make temporary connections each night to allow continued use, any electrics involved, is the floor suitable for tiling or does it need replacing/overboarding, how are you getting rid of the waste etc. etc.

You need to tighten down the specification and work out how long it will take you to complete before you can put together a reasonable estimate.

As a guide we've fitted bathrooms for invoice values ranging from £2,400 to £16,300 - the main variable being the cost of the tiles and fittings.

Thanks for the reply, its much appreciated.

The customers will be buying all the materials, i will just buy any plumbing fixtures, elbows, waste fittings so i'm just focusing on labour costs.

I had a look under bath and the water pipework will tuck in nicely behind the bath, even if the raised floor is lowered. However the waste from the bath is level with where the lowered floor will be, so the waste water should still drain away. The shower waste was not visible so assuming its under the raised floor.

I was guessing at about £1000 labour, but i now get the feeling this might be too low.

I've fit a couple of bathrom suits only previously, and I would say it takes me two days to remove bath, toilet and basin, and fit the new ones. So kindof slow i guess! All this work i reckon it would take about 7 days, possibly more.

The family will be living there and they have a downstairs toilet and shower.

Only you will know how long you believe it will take - but I'd allow yourself more time than you think!

If you're undertaking tiling a full bathroom for the first time then I'd spend a bit of time of the tiling forum to get as much advice as you can. Poor tiling will ruin an otherwise good install. Plan your start points and centres early on!

The important bits are going to be having a clear plan of the order of works and having everything you need on site - you'd be amazed how much time you can waste if you have to "pop out" to buy missing parts!

If your client is supplying materials ensure that you both understand what each of you is providing. If the client is buying tiles make sure that they don't also buy the cheapest adhesive and grout at the same time!

Don't under-estimate how much the bits you are providing will add up to - by the time you've supplied a few lengths of tube, isolators, flexis, waste pipe, pipe fittings, solvent weld, traps , pan connector, silicone sealants, tile spacers, softwood (bath feet bearers, bath panel frame), half-a-dozen rubble sacks etc. etc. If you're not careful you soon reduce your profit significantly.

Purely a personal piece of advice - are you insured for this type of work because if is goes wrong then it can be both spectacular and costly!

Good luck!

Sponsored Links
Not only insured but are you a skilled Plumber?, sounds to me like a wannabe Diyer. If so, you shouldn't be charging Tradesmen rates.

Stick to tap washers if I were you.

Not only insured but are you a skilled Plumber?, sounds to me like a wannabe Diyer. If so, you shouldn't be charging Tradesmen rates.

Stick to tap washers if I were you.

thanks once again for the tips.

I am insured, I decided to take out public liability as i'm getting asked to do more jobs and as I have little experience, I want to make sure both myself and customers are covered in case something goes wrong.

I did a level 2 plumbing course in college last year, then did a 20 hour short basic tiling course so have a rough idea how to tile. Did a couple of small tiling jobs for family and they seem happy with the results.

I'm going to go in at about 1300 labour cost, may take me upto 10 days at worst, 6 days at best. (3 days tiling half wall, and all floor. 3 days putting in shower, toilet, basin and bath. maybe a long day to tidy up odd bits. Also may need to paint the top half of the wall after removing paper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back