Bathroom Refurbishment Order of Completion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there - I'm having the bathroom refitted in January and would really like some advice on the order of completion as I'm great at getting this kind of thing wrong - I intend to keep the existing suite bath, wash basin and WC -Also intend to keep the lit mirror above sink
Room project breakdown is :

Replacement of current wobbly floorboards with tiles

Installation of spotlights in ceiling - lath and plaster............ lovely

Installation of coving in ceiling

Removal of picture rail

Removal of current tiling existing two high around bath and wash basin

Current walk in shower cubicle, electric shower and shower tray removed along with tiles in shower cubicle

floor to ceiling tiles installed in whole room

new walk in shower cubicle and shower tray

new electric shower

many thanks
peter

Sponsored Links
Personally, i'd always work my way from the top down, like any other room refurb.

So do your flooring last (well just before you put your furniture down obviously)

How are you going to have the floor tiled with the bath, sink, and toilet there. You have to remove them temporarily, replace or overboard the floorboards with WBP ply and then can put them back.

I can tell you in what order I refurbished my bathroom, hope it would help

1) Removed everything - the old suite, electric shower, door, tiles ,lose render, floorboards.

2) Replaced some of the floor joists which were rotten. Treated all the joists with wood protector.

3) Put 2 layers of 18 mm WBP plywood (staggered the pieces of ply in the layers).

4) Have the first fix of the electrics done (was going to do it myself but the council wanted to charge me some ridiculous price for the notification, so I found an electrician)

5) Upgraded the pipework as I wanted the shower on the other end of the bath. Put valves before all the taps and the toilet cistern for ease of maintenance at later stages

5) The ceiling and the walls were replastered (by a plasterer). The ceiling is plasterboard, the walls - solid masonry.

6) Tanked the walls around the bath and sink.

7) Put a new architrave around the door opening so that I can butt the tiles to it.

8) Spend couple of hours measuring around and deciding on the datum lines. I marked 2 pieces of timber with the size of the tiles and the gaps between them - one for the horizontal, one for the vertical tile size. Then used them to figure out how the tiles will go around the window, door, bath, sink, built-in cabinets, floor - it is time consuming but I didn't want to have narrow strips of tiles anywhere - difficult to cut and look unsightly.

9) Tiled the walls, leaving a gap (for about 2/3 of a tile) around the bath and the vanity unit/concealed cistern cabinet.

10) Painted the ceiling

11) Installed the bath and shower

12) Tiled the floor (the tiles go under the cabinets but not under the bath - just under the bath screen)

13) Installed the vanity unit and the toilet

14) Finished the tiling

15) Towel rail, mirror, door, shower screen and other finishing touches.

Full tiling looks like a public loo.

Way old fashioned.

Sponsored Links
Strip out everthing
Pipework/Electrical
Ceiling/Wall/Floor repairs
1st fix sanitary i.e. shower tray
Tile Floor
Tile Walls
2nd fix sanitary i.e. sink
Final clean
Mastic

Thats pretty much the order I install my bathrooms. Order can change subject to site conditions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back