Bathroom sink tap problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a problem with the taps on my bathroom sink, sometimes they work, sometimes they don’t, at the moment only the hot tap is working, I got it working last night, although I've been without any water to the sink for about 6 weeks now. I've had a problem with one or the other ever since they were fitted in 1999. There's two taps and a spout, I believe it's called a three hole system. They weren’t cheap taps, (don’t know if I should say who makes them), I've looked on the website and a new set would cost over £300. Soon after they were first fitted the hot tap stopped working, a plumber replaced the flexible hose, saying it had got twisted inside, which solved that problem, for a while. Every now and again it stops working, sometimes turning on the hot tap in the bath starts it working again, which is what started it working last night. The problem with the cold tap was that the washer kept falling off. A friend showed me how to take the tap top off and replace the washer, which, incidentally, needed forcing back into place, so I find it hard to understand how it seems to come off so easily. This kept happening on and off for about a year, then the tap just stopped working all together, I fitted a new washer, but it still wouldn’t work. I called a local plumber, told him everything I've written here, he fiddled about with the taps and fiddled under the sink for an hour, he then confirmed he couldn’t fix it. I was surprised to receive a bill a couple of days later! I've phoned the manufacturers who have been very helpful, they’ve sent me new tap tops, which I've fitted, but it hasn’t solved the problem and, unfortunately, they're not plumbers so, like me, they can only guess at what the problem may be. I asked if it would do any good replacing any other parts but he said there's no workings in the tap bottom or spout that could block as they're basically just pipe for the water to run through. I'm reluctant to call another plumber as it could finish up costing me a fortune for one plumber after another to tell me they can't fix my problem then send me a bill!!
I don’t know if it makes any difference but I've got a combi boiler which is downstairs in the kitchen and I haven't had any problems with any other taps in the house, except the outside tap which sometimes knocks when it's switched on, this only started happening a couple of years ago.

Sponsored Links
Plumbers not fixing and then billing .........you wanna try a CORGI and see what they charge :rolleyes: I think you should say who makes the tap set ;) I`ve only had experience with similar on bidets from the 60`s...36 of them in an hotel :eek: but they were piped with smallbore copper not flexis between tap and outlet :cry: ..a longshot may be the washers coming off(as you mentioned) and even sticking to the seat :confused: Flexi twisting/collapsing inside could be another (again)without being visible on the outside braided covering :idea:Outside tap-new washer too ;)

The taps are made by Lefroy Brooks and, as I said, they've been really helpful and everything they've sent me has been free of charge.

Do you mean a CORGI fitter will charge me more, or only charge me if ye can fix the problem?

The washers aren't coming off any more as I've got new tap tops, and I've taken them off to check the washers are where they're supposed to be.

I did forget to mention one thing which may be important, I've taken the tap tops off and turned the water on to check that there is water getting to the tap, and it is.

Thanks for the tip for the outside tap, I'll try that.

Sponsored Links
Do you mean a CORGI fitter will charge me more, or only charge me if ye can fix the problem?
they will because a lot of them now are just ccc and think they are one better, god knows why.
bring back the timeserved old boys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back