bathroom switch - help, please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there!

I'm trying to replace the pull-switch for my bathroom light, but it's not as easy as I thought!

In the old switch, the cables were connected as follows: red = COMM, black = N and green/yellow = earth. In the new switch, there is no 'N', only an 'L1' (well, there is also an 'L2' but it's just a hole).

Should I connect the black cable to 'L1'?

Also, the earth cable is actually too short to reach it's new terminal. Is it vital that this is connected? The switch housing is made entirely of plastic.

I would be very grateful for any advice.

Thanks,

Nicky

Sponsored Links
Is there only one cable (red+earth+black) into the switch? If so it is almost certain that the black wire is the switched live and not a neutral, hence should be sleeved red. If this is the case the red can connect to C and the black to L1. If there are two cables please don't connect as above and post back. Can you joint the earth with a terminal block and extend it to the earth terminal? It is not vital to earth an entirely plastic fitting but it should be there in case it is ever replaced with a metal one.

Thanks, Spark123, for your speedy reply.

There were indeed only 3 cables coming into the switch (red, black and green/yellow). But I'm a little confused. Is the black cable live, then, as well as the red cable?

Thanks for your suggestion about extending the earth, by the way,I hadn't thought of that.

Just to recap: should the black cable go to COM and the red one go to L1?

Thanking you in advance for your help.

Nicky

What a twit I am! Sorry, I've just re-read your message.

When I said there were only 3 cables going into the switch - SORRY - I meant one cable with 3 wires.

And I got the order completely wrong too: the RED should go to COM and the BLACK to L1.

It's late, sorry! Don't worry, I won't touch anything until the morning!

Nicky

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back