Bathroom tap moves from side to side

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bathroom tap moves from side to side

I have a problem with the cold tap on my sink in the bath room.

when i turn the tap on on it moves to the left, and when i tighten it it moves to the right,
the only way i can get round this is to hold the end of the tap while i turn it on or off.

i have looked under the sink and there seems to be a big plastic white washer which has broken,
I assume i need to repalce this.
however there is very little space,
can anyone advice.

Sponsored Links
so i need a Adjustable Basin Nut Wrenche ?

i have had a look at the Mono Tap Back Nut Box Spanner
how the hell does it work?

i can see how the Adjustable Basin Nut Wrenche would work.

Sponsored Links
If you can get the tap connector nut off the tail with an ordinary wrench..you don`t need the adjustable basin wrench...you move the pipe and connecter out the way....and put the box spanner over the tail and onto the nut...why,? because the basin wrenches are too big sometimes, and I prefer this way :LOL: That`s 30 years @ it :LOL:

I agree with Nige F. Back nut box spanners are the way to tighten tap back nuts.

Turn off your cold water supply, undo tap connector and get it out of the way, put box spanner on back nut of tap, remove, refit tap with rubber washer and no sealer or any slippery additive, put new nylon wahser on back and preferably a brass back nut available from merchants, tighten up back nut holding tap in place. Rubber wahser ensures tap won't move, nylon washer ensures nut tightens up enough. Dig out the old fibre washer from tap connector put a new one on, again with no additives. Nip up tap connector just enough. Turn on water, if leak from tap connector nip up ever so slightly. Fibre washers work by expaqnding with water, if you add sealer you defeat the object, if you overtighten you break them. The slightest drip will bed in and stop, keep an eye on it for a few days and wait for the fibre to work. If yoy are the impatient type, don't use fibre, make a gromet from ptfe, wrap it round and round your finger to wahser size, nip it up sufficiently to stop any drips.

Now you are a plumber, easy isn't it?

Or fill the whole hole with sanitary silicone, with everything clean and dry before you start, so it squirts out everywhere. When that lot's gone off it won't twist about.

I usually just use conical rubber washers, about 12p each and save having to think about it.

Sorry to necro-bump this old thread but it's very similar to what I'm asking so the answer may be relevant.

Anyway, I had a leaky sanitaryware (hot water) tap which could not be open to play with the ceramics so had to be replaced. I just so happened to have a bath tap lying around which fit the hole just fine. Anyhow I fitted it with a sealing washer the top-side of the tap tail like advised, then fitted another sealing washer bolted onto the back with a flange backnut and the bugger moves about. To be fair, it did this when it was fitted to the bath it came from through but that just means the person who did it was a worse plumber than me!

Anyways, I removed to top-side washer between the tap and the sink and now got it bolted down pretty tight. You can still move it if you try and give it a shove but other than that it's fine. Any way (other than glue) to stop the tap moving at all?

Was suprised to find the lack of top sealing washer didn't cause any leaks. Dumped 10 litres of water on the tap and not a drop got through (there is still the washer between backnut and underside of sink mind you).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back