Bathroom tap water flow suddenly stopping (mains)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all, im hoping this is a simple issue..

Pretty much every evening my basin mains fed cold water tap cuts out mid flow (normally 4-5secs), thwunk noise followed by a small amount of water hammer in the plastic pipes.. can get a low level of flow before it cuts off again except when i run the bath then its all fine..

Best guess is its an air bubble or the tap is screwy.. live in a bungalow so the basin tap may well be the highest point in the system.. all the pipes are plastic and only about 2-3years old ish and laid by an Italian plumber who talked too much.. only happens in the evenings.. urm what else, oh the pressure is pretty solid in my area can normally hit the neighbours cat with my garden hose..

Anyways thanks for the time and any useful answers :)

Sponsored Links
so is it just the upstairs if so then lit could be lift floor boards time and check his work

Before you start lifting floorboards you should check that the tap itself is ok.Sounds to me like the internals of the tap require attention.Ciao baby!

Sponsored Links
Before you start lifting floorboards you should check that the tap itself is ok.Sounds to me like the internals of the tap require attention.Ciao baby!
Sounds plausible, looks fairly simple to do.. whats the worst that can happen.. :evil:

You forgot to turn off the supply first :idea: Respect to 45yr. gas man - there`s not many Gas Fitters that know plumbing ;) . New tap head should solve it for pennies ;) - a pair from a DIY shed will be fine. Nessun Dorma if you use the bathroom in the night, then. P.S your mains STATIC :rolleyes: pressure is probably too high, too - check out a pressure reducing valve

Had similar problems recently. Idiot step-son was cranking hot tap down too hard and the jumper came out of the end of it's thread. Reassemble with instructions not to be so heavy handed in future, no probs since.

Just saw this better explanation from 'MIGEM' on another post relating to low flow.......

Id guess if you remove the tap body, you will find that the washer is worn and flat. which lets the spindle wind down further than it should. That exposes too much of the spindle 'O'ring and lets water get into the spindle and trapped behind the 'O' ring when you open the tap. You can not compress water, so the spindle and jumper will not rise.

Take the circlip off the top of the tap body, wind out the spindle, change the 'O' ring and washer, and refit.

Just wondering if it could be some debris in the pipework that had come to rest near the affected tap. Open the tap, and the 'whatever' gets carried along with the flow until it gets to the tap. which it doesn't fit through, stopping the flow with a BANG.

Close the tap, and it sinks back down the pipe to where it was, ready for a repeat performance.

Possible.. i think the chances are its the tap itself.. maybe it as something lose in it causing the blockage.. well its time for a new tap then, will keep the wife happy..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back