Bathroom tiling on painted pasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am a new home owner and a tiling virgin. Before buying the house the bathroom had a new suite installed and was redecorated (on a budget). There was no shower and as a result the only tiling was about a foot high, running all around the bath.

I have had a shower installed and now need to add to the existing tiling, running it up to the ceiling, and I am after some advise. The walls are plasterboard and have been painted, I don't know if proper bathroom paint was used. I have read around forums and my understanding is that i need to seal the walls to waterproof them before tiling, does it matter that the plasterboard is painted? do i need to score the walls? can i use a 2-in-1 product to seal and attach the tiles or is it better to do them separately? any products you can recommend? and also, after tiling how long do i need to leave it before using the shower? any help would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
One more thing - a large square was cut of of the plaster board and then refitted (in order to install a shower). what is best to seal the joins before i tile - plasterboard tape? thanks for your help.

This is what you need. You'll get problems with the original tiles though since they won't have a tanking behind them the grout will leak!

Sponsored Links
JayS said:
This is what you need. You'll get problems with the original tiles though since they won't have a tanking behind them the grout will leak!

Thanks JayS. Is there anything i can do to seal the existing grout or slow down the leaking? And are we talking months or years before i run into problems? (wondering whether its worth pulling them all off and starting from scratch!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back