Bathroom tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, this is my first post so go easy on me!

I am tiling a bathroom 2m x 1.8m. The tiles are 12.1/2" x 17.1/2". I am also using a border. The walls are breeze/ plaster and existing tiles to 3 walls which i am going to remove. I have worked the setting out but need the following advice;

What is the best adhesive/grout/trowel size to use?
I am removing the bath and tiling behind it, what is best way to seal round edges?
Regarding the floor, it is chipboard. I was going to overboard it in 6mm hardwood ply (screwed down), is this adequate as a bit restricted by height?
Which adhesive/grout/trowel size is recommended?

Apologies for VERY LONG post but i need help after getting so much conflicting advice from experts in tile shops!

Thanks,

Gary.

Sponsored Links
What is the best adhesive/grout/trowel size to use?
Use only quality trade products not the local DIY shed offerings; more expensive but there is no comparison.

I am removing the bath and tiling behind it, what is best way to seal round edges?

Fit the bath first & tile over the edge leaving a gap around 3mm. Fill the bath to the overflow with water & apply a bead of Silicone sealer; this should be large enough to fill the gap & give a nice radius. Leave for at least 12 hours before pulling the plug. Make sure you clean the bath & tiles thoroughly with a suitable de-greasing solvent before applying the silicone or it won’t stick properly & will quickly delaminate.

Regarding the floor, it is chipboard. I was going to overboard it in 6mm hardwood ply (screwed down), is this adequate as a bit restricted by height?
Generally over-boarding is less than successful, especially on chipboard which is a load of cr*p; & it will leave you with a significant step up! I would remove the existing floor & replace with 22mm exterior grade plywood, make sure the joists don’t flex unduly, screw it down at 200mm centres & support any joins.
Which adhesive/grout/trowel size is recommended?
For the floor (& for the walls!), only use a ‘trade’ flexible adhesive & grout - not cheap. For the notched trowel; 3mm for walls, 5/6mm for the floor.

Read the tiling sticky.
Notched trowels are generally 6mm square notch for walls and 10mm radius notch for floors.
As mentioned, don't tile behind the bath.

This is more for the tilers on here, I bought 3 trowels about a month ago as my old faithfuls were getting in a bit of a state. They are new on the market over here they come from the U.S, they are called Platinum trowels. If you are looking to get a new trowel I would strongly recommend these as they give 100% coverage so much easier with a lot less effort.

I didn't know what to do first of all as they cost a bit but trust me brilliant, I have just bought myself the platinum grout float and knee pads too.

don't know what to do about the nippers? :confused:

Put platinum trowels in to google and see what you think.

Sponsored Links
Looks like good gear that. Not sure I'd bother with the nippers but it looks like you might fall a sleep on your knees in those knee pads! ;)

Too late already got them only used them once and they see alright touch wood I will have to let you guys know when I have give them a bit of a battering.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back