bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to install a completely new bathroom (walls and everything) and was wondering if any one had advice on the wiring of underfloor heating, whirlpool bath and electric shower etc?

Sponsored Links
One thing I would say, on the basis that cables can only have too little capacity, not too much, install the fattest cable that you can get into the connectors in your CU & shower. You may think that you only need 6mm to feed an 8K5W shower, and (derating calculations aside) you do.

But showers are getting bigger all the time, and when you come to replace yours (by which time you'll have decided you want a hotter one) you'll be glad that your wiring can cope. You can already get showers which consume 10K5W (and, for all I know, more). Again, ignoring derating, 10mm cable is good for 53A, 12K75W, which is probably enough, but then Bill Gates once thought that 640KB was enough memory for a PC.....

At 70A, 16mm may be a step too far, and even if it fits, it'll be bloody difficult to pull, but if it's practicable, why not?

Thanks for the info.
What about the underfloor heating can I take that from the upstairs ring.

I have absolutely no idea - no experience of underfloor heating, you should seek the advice of the supplier of the product.

My guess would be that a separate radial supply protected by the appropriate MCB would be the most elegant solution, but a fused spur might be just as good - depends on the load, what else is on the ring and so on.

If this is an upstairs bathroom, one caveat about using the ring - I believe it is OK under the wiring regs for rings that are not on the ground floor not to be RCD protected. I don't know who wouldn't protect all of theirs as a matter of course, but if yours isn't, then with a combination of electricity, standing water and plenty of earthed metal objects available to touch, I would suggest that RCD would be a Good Thing.

Sponsored Links
Never done under floor heating, only connected it up via a fuse spur and thermostat....the guy who I was working for did it himself and said it was pretty easy.......just dont put the electrical equipment (ie spur / thermostat) in the bathroom (all about zones, and I aint going into it)

2t.jpg

Just lay a few of these down.......:cool:

Only Kiddin'

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back