Bathrooms in a five bed house !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Friend of mine...

Just got a 5 bed house, approx 10/12 years old with a standard bathroom, not huge , which has an electric shower over bath and one sink (sited too close to door) and loo.

Master bedroom with en suite consisting of one bath, one loo, one sink, no shower.

One bedroom, with en suite consisting of one small shower cubicle (fed from house plumbing hot/cold system) one small sink and loo.

They are looking to update, and I have suggested..

Bathroom...
Move new sink further down the same wall away from door, new corner toilet similar ish position between wall and bath, and retain electric shower over a new bath in smae position (shower is fairly new)

Master en suite.
Remove bath and replace with a large style shower tray and install shower above (fed from house hot/cold system) new toilet and sink in existing locations.

The other bedroom en suite to be sorted later when cash allows!

They want to...

Bathroom...
Move new sink on to opposite wall after REMOVAL of bath to be REPLACED with a shower cubicle, retaining electric shower, new toilet (not corner) same position between wall and bath.

Master en suite.
Install new bath, new toilet and sink in existing locations.

There are two adults, two 14 yr olds, and a 9 year old in the house and I feel they will rue the day they get rid of the bath in the main bathroom, and only have the one left in their en-suite.

I appreciate my suggestion may require a boiler upgrade, but feel its more flexible having the three showers and retaining one bath in the main bathroom for the growing family.

BTW, they have had a plumber out who suggested they have a combi fitted! I'n not an expert but surely this is wrong advice. The existing boiler system looks huge!

Any comments appreciated...

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
BTW, they have had a plumber out who suggested they have a combi fitted!
As you suggest, that's probably because the builder knows no better, but it all depends.
We can't comment really on what the houseowner wants.
To provide 3 ish bathrooms with water, hot or cold will take some effort, and money.
What he could do to provide it depends on space, water supply, budget, existing plumbing, and on and on. It would take a good plumber's survey to decide.

But to add to Chris, you will be looking at unvented possible on existing boiler.
Also retain bath in main with two ensuites its a must for most women.

Best of luck if your doing the refurb, I aint knocking your ability but friends work bites you in the arse now and again ;)

Thanks both.

No I ain't doing the work, just concerned they will do the work how they want and regret later.

Just thought a combi suggestion was a poor idea too, in a house this large.

Sponsored Links
There are two adults, two 14 yr olds, and a 9 year old in the house and I feel they will rue the day they get rid of the bath in the main bathroom, and only have the one left in their en-suite.

When I was selling my old house back in 2006, there was a house down the road on the market and they'd taken the bath out of the one-and-only bathroom and replaced it with a shower cubicle. I moved out in September of that year and the other house is still on the market, 4 years later !

There are (of course) many reasons why a house might not sell (particularly in recent years) but I can't help feeling that taking a bath out of the bathroom in a house priced to suit young families was a big mistake.

In the case you're talking about, do they really want kids/guests going backwards and forwards through their main bedroom to use the one and only bath in the house ?

If there isn't space in the main bathroom for a separate shower cubicle and bath, then surely a shower over the bath has got to be the sensible solution in a family home. What about one of those 'P' baths with a proper screen that is almost a cross between the two ?

They are rarely seen but there are shorter baths which can be fitted as well as a shower cubicle in smaller bathrooms.

My cottage has a "hip bath". That was put in for the old lady and is about 4' and has a sit on shelf and a full depth for the feet. Ideal for infirm people and for small spaces with a shower above.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back