Battening and Overboarding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm trying my hand at battening and over-boarding a bathroom in an old 1930s semi we've recently moved into. At the same time I'm knocking the toilet and bathroom into one.

I've started with the bathroom - removed old plaster and lathe from the internal timer frames ready to put up new plasterboard. I'd perfer to batten and overboard the ceiling and external wall.

My first question - in the image below

ndmqmw.jpg

I'm back to brick where the tiles have been taken off at the bottom. I'd also like to insulate this wall while battening, but I'm not really sure how to handle the parts where it's back to brick. Any suggestions?

Next question is around the ceiling angle -

2sbprwi.jpg

This really need insulating. I've put some battens up already but the surface I'm fitting the battens to is making it difficult the get the angle of the two battens the same. I'm wondering if it might be better to build a frame and fit the frame to the angled section with perhaps some kingspan in between the battens, then plasterboard on top. Sound reasonable? Any suggestions here?

The side wall -

1ik38j.jpg

Sponsored Links
The correct procedure would be to remove the toilet and build a frame with 2x2 or 3x2 over the wall and the ceiling. The side walls are ok as they.
Leave a 10mm air gap between the frame and the outside wall or roof.
Fill in the battened voids with king celo or equival. Plasterboard with vapour backed plasterboad. Tile or skim, refit toilet, job done!

Great thanks :) make it sound easy. How would I leave a 10mm air gap between the battens and the wall /ceiling - spacers? I'm overboarding the ceiling plaster and lather so would I still need to leave an air gap between the battens and the plaster and lathe?

Sponsored Links
Ideally you want to keep the air gar between your outside walls, the roof and the frame, with as few contact points as possible. Some fixings may be required. If the roof is insulated above, dont worry if it isnt, try and get something together, you can sit the ceiling frame on the top of the wall frame. Ive found 70 or 100mm keeps things toasty. Remember to fill and gaps in any gaps in your insulation fitting with expanding foam, but dont fill your airgap. Good luck!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back