Baxi Barcelona Leak in left corner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have managed to keep my boiler going for 10 years which seems a bit of a record!
Lately it started to leak in middle of left hand side and the burner needed to be upgraded.
Before doing the burner I checked the base plate to see if it was too corroded to replace (and I would have to scrap it).
Though slightly corroded the gasket slot was OK so I replaced burner insulation partition gasket and bought a new (modified) burner/pipe.
Fitted it all an now have a nice blue even flame and the leak along the middle left has been cured, however I now have a slight leak on the rear left corner!!

I have read this is a particular problem with this model, but can someone explain the cause please and what I can do to cure it?

I took extra precaution of using hi temp gasket silicone with the seal and spent ages cleaning it off! I then refitted the burner baseplate using just the sealant but it still leaked in the same corner.
It seems to be just in the corner, but I am off to buy a dentists mirror so I can be sure it is not coming from higher up the back!

Just for the record about this poor design:

Bought it 10 years ago and recommended it to a friend 8 years ago!
He had it serviced regularly but need a new boiler after 5 years and I had it for spares. After dismantling it I found the condensate trap clear but the hole in the baseplate blocked solid, and the rear tank had filled up and rotted through the casing!
On the same subject, (I make sure both hole and trap are clear) when I took the burner base off there was about a large cupful of condensate that had built up on the drainage area!

I hope this helps anyone who is still managing to their old boiler running!

Peter H

Sponsored Links
Hi Peter,

I don't know if the following is of interest?

Two days ago I replaced my Baxi Barcelona which was 10 years old. It was working perfectly when replaced and has benefitted from the British Gas 'Homecare' servicing since new. I changed it because the BG annual fee had increased so much (I suspect because of all the new parts recently fitted) that it made sense not to be subject to future hikes.

The boiler is now residing on my garage floor!

It may be of interest to you for spares or to replace yours with your boiler for spares.

Anyway, I live a long way from you so may be impractical.

cheers
John

John,

I have now got the mirror!, but I still cannot see exactly where the leak is, so I will have to break it down again before knowing the extent of the problem!

Can you keep yours till next week (even outside in a plastic bag), when I should know the source of the problem!?

It may well be worth exchanging it or keeping it for spares as I have now spent a bit of money on a burner.

Do you want anything for it and do you know what was recently replaced?

Just out of interest, was sort of price were BG going to charge you!?

I hope to be able to decide a course of action by next Wednesday (had the flu).!

Regards

Peter H
(South Bristol)

Hi Peter,

No problem keeping boiler in my garage for a week.

The following is the service history:
04/01/2011 - new condensate trap fitted
09/02/2010 - service checklist states 'parts fitted' - lots
03/02/2011 - new heat exchanger fitted
29/01/2010 - new burner/combustion box/seals fitted
09/01/2010 - new spark electrode fitted
07/09/2009 - new CM PRV fitted
21/07/2008 - new divertor valve actuator fitted
09/02/2008 - new ignition PCB/board electronic controlsseals fitted

BG charged £1800 for supply and fitting of a new boiler.
I am not comfortable charging for the Baxi. I can only say that it was working perfectly prior to replacement.

The part number on the boiler is 4107503.

I will hold on to it until I hear from you.

regards
John

Sponsored Links
John,

I have just managed to cure my leak. It took a lot of effort as the new trap is so much larger than the old one and the new one had a horrible plastic nut which I had to replace with the good old brass one.

Thanks very much for your offer but I will not now take it up. I have decided that I have exhausted my patience with this poor design and will "bin it" the next time it goes wrong!

I also noticed that yours was a "system" boiler with pump etc so I could not exchange it (although most parts are the same).

Just out of interest, what boiler did you get?

All the best and thanks for holding on to it for me.

Peter H

Hi Peter,

Glad you managed to fix your boiler. I also had the condensate trap replaced (it is much taller than the original) and the engineer said that if the condensate trap filled up again stopping the boiler, all I had to do was disconnect the earth lead from the top of the trap and the boiler would fire up.

I bought a Worcester Bosch 24RI.

cheers
John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back