Baxi Bermuda 552 Heat Exchanger

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The heat exchanger is, after 20 years making slight kettling noises.

Would I be better off getting a new combi boiler?

The reason is the upheaval of getting pipes diverted, having a gas pipe running through the loft which im not keen on etc...
I know they are more efficient.. BUT it will cost me £1000s to get done also.

I have looked into the costs of a replacement and cheapest £360 inc vat.
Excuse me for a possible daft idea.. but...
Could the existing heat exchanger be taken off, and do something to it to clean it out???

Sponsored Links
you can use readily available chemicals to clean it , you dont need to take it out

Hi,

Make sure that the 'spreader' which is fitted to the inside of the heat exchanger on the flow pipe is intact. It is only plastic and may have broken.
The heat exchanger has 4 channels and the spreader is fitted to make sure water passes down all channels.
If the spreader is damaged then water can boil in a channel that does not have a good flow through it.
I am speaking from experience, bad noises, broken spreader. Now sorted.

You may get replies or find posts saying that the spreader is only used with gravity flow systems. This is not true. The spreader is to be installed on all systems.

This may, of course, not be your problem but it is relatively easy to check out. You will need a registered engineer to get in there but you can tell him what you are looking for.

andytw

First thing you should do before going to any proper expense is put some sentinel x 200 into system or fernox boiler silencer it is not unusual for older boilers to start kettling and these will quieten it down within a day or so if its just standard kettling

Sponsored Links
If you feel like spending over £400 on that old boiler then its better put towards a new boiler which would be around £2200 in many cases.

But as explained, all you need is a little water treatment.

A little kettling is fairly normal on these units now which are mostly about 20 years old.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back