baxi bermuda back boiler problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
I have a baxi back boiler thats stopped working, a few years ago the pilot light wouldn't stay lit so i changed the thermocoupler which sorted the problem out. But now the pilot light is lit but the boiler won't fire up so i don't think it's the thermocoupler. I'm guessing that the problem is with the boiler thermostat. I know people are going to say get a gas engineer to come and have a look, which i will do but the problem is its easter weekend and i have a 3 week old baby so i would like to get the probable parts on order a.s.a.p.

Any advice would be gratefully accepted.

Cheers , Damo

Sponsored Links
Damo, could be anything chief. You may not be getting a switched live down to the boiler. Plus it depends on which BBU you have as to what the range of problems could be on it.

You have already opened the gas fire gas supply when you changed the thermocouple.

We dont give DIY gas advice on this forum. Anything failed in the boiler will need a registered gas engineer.

Many like me are still doing repairs over the weekend!

You pretend to want to know whats wrong so you can order parts. I dont know where you expect to buy boiler parts over easter. I suspect you only want gas appliance repair advice to do a DIY job.

Tony

Hi Tony,
Sorry if i have offended you, but like it or not a thermocoupler is a very easy job to do, even for a mechanical engineer not a gas engineer like myself. But not sure your following what i'm trying to say Yes i have spent the morning trying to get a engineer here and no I have not had any luck so far. Most places where you order parts from do next day delivery so i thought if i got them ordered today they would be here for tuesday as monday is a bank holiday. If parts are not ordered today its going to be wednesday at least before i get them and as i said i have a cold house and a 3 week old baby !!! who's name is Zachary if your interested. so all in all think you have got the wrong impression.

Sponsored Links
Congratulations on the new baby, however this does not detract from the fact that you have dismantled a gas pipe to remove the fire front, then removed the fire front which has interfered with the flue, all of which contraveines the Gas safety & Use Regulations, which forbids a person who has not proved competency through the ACS system, and has also registered with the organisation authorised for the time being of managing the register of gas operatives for the HSE -at pressent Gas Safe Register. so as has been stated no advice on Gas related DIY work will be given and you are strongly urged to use a RGI my company have an on call engeineer 24/7, (but only for regular or contracted customers) which excludes people like yourself who only want to use a pro when they have to, this is probably why you are struggling to find someone to come out! :rolleyes:

BG also have engineers working, although contract customers get priority, others will be attended to asap, especially when babies, elderly and infirm are involved. I doubt very much if you'd want to pay their price though.

For anything other than very simple repairs and when any significant parts are needed I dont think that BG prices are unreasonable.

In fact as an independent we are often unable to match the BG prices if a new fan, gas valve or PCB are required.

Where we can beat then though in our speed of service. On Thursday afternoon I was able to attend two repairs within two hours of the call.

Tony

Where we can beat then though in our speed of service. On Thursday afternoon I was able to attend two repairs within two hours of the call
I'll agree with that, it can take almost 2 hours to get anyone at BG to answer the phone. ;)

check your external components. plus the main electrical switch. Like one of the guys said see if your getting a switched live off the orange wire off the valve. But any diy gas isnt safe as spillage testing flue flow and a correct check off safety shut off should be checked by a RGI hope you get it sorted. And congrats on the baby.

Nath

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back