Baxi Combi 80 Eco

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My sister has a problem with her Baxi Combi 80 Eco boiler. If she turns the hot water on the radiators all come on, at full temperature. This is even with the dial set to hot water only. The thermostat doesn't work either when she turns it down.

It sounds similar to a 3way valve problem I had myself last year, but obviously want the advice of you people! :) I fixed my 3way valve myself on my boiler (different make of boiler) so I am wondering if any of you know whether it is an easy/hard job etc?! I am competent with these kinds of things, but by no means a heating engineer.

Any advice would be really appreciated people!!

Sponsored Links
We have the same boiler, with the same problem. Would've been good to have some more feedback from the original poster to see if any of the suggestions actually worked and, if not, then what the final solution was.

Sponsored Links
We've had someone in to check the problem out.

Initially he thought it was the pcb but then noticed a faulty microswitch which wasn't turning itself off after we stopped using hot water.

The switch is triggered by a pin which is pushed by a diaphragm (sorry, don't know much about boilers).

Anyway, he realigned the switch/pin position and it now works fine but he isn't confident of it being a permanent fix and also said that the switch problem could be a symptom and not the cause.

I'll keep the thread updated if it proves useful to others with a similar problem. At the moment we're gonna leave it a week and take it from there.

Hope this makes sense.

Ian

To the new poster.

Personally I would say the diverter valve has stuck in mid position and needs replacing.

It is always best to start your own thread, especially as this was 2+ years ago ;)

Sorry, I decided that if I started a new thread about this then an old forum hack would've had a go at me for not checking out old threads for answers before cluttering up the board with stuff that has already been covered.

Plus, I thought the forum would work in a way that shoves the newest post back to the top, no matter how old it is, thus refreshing the thread.

The bloke we called out to sort this boiler problem mentioned the diverter valve before discovering the microswitch, which appeared to be having trouble turning itself off after the demand for hot water had gone.

We've been using hot water off-and-on all evening and the problem hasn't reared its ugly head again (touch wood). Would a stuck diverter valve cause an intermittent problem or a permanent fault?

If the problem happens again then I'll mention the diverter valve to him. Thanks for the information. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back