Baxi Genesis 80

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK I know I may NOT have the BEST boiler in the world, having looked at all the relevent posts...

BUT.. I do have a working boiler

Having lost all faith in BG being able to fix my boiler I have undertaken the task and PASSED where BG failed.

The boiler was not firing up on CH but was OK on DHW, after BG had changed the 3 way valve, it would not light up at all, found the over temp stat had popped (it was fine before BG got their hands on it!).

I have replaced the OT stat as BG were on a 1 part fix only! They said to have the system power flushed at about £600. I have flushed through every rad and all the pipe work only to find the return DCH filter totally blocked... Doh...! Cause of the original fault I am sure!

Now I find that the pressure in the boiler, at rest and cold is a little low for my liking, the red on the needle is just about showing, so I would like to know If I can adjust the pressure in the pressure vessel, I know there is a schrader valve on the top of the boiler, I just don't know what to use to change the pressure, I did read on another forum you could use a bicycle pump, but how would you measure the pressure accurately??

Long pre-amble to a simple question, but feeling proud of myself for getting a problem child of a boiler up and (nearly) running again.

Sponsored Links
Now I find that the pressure in the boiler, at rest and cold is a little low for my liking, the red on the needle is just about showing, so I would like to know If I can adjust the pressure in the pressure vessel, I know there is a schrader valve on the top of the boiler, I just don't know what to use to change the pressure, I did read on another forum you could use a bicycle pump, but how would you measure the pressure accurately??

The instructions on this site ask you to read the FAQs BEFORE you make any posting as the chances are that they will cover the problem.

In your case they totally cover your situation.

Furthermore if you had taken the trouble to read a few postings about your boiler on here before calling BG then you would have saved yourself their fee as you would have read about the return filter!

Tony

I did not know that I would attract any critics for not reading the whole forum, but as I can not find any topics regarding regulating the air in the pressure vessel I thought I would ask the question.

As for sharing my experiences on the forum regarding my boiler I will not bother in future. A very frosty reception detedcted.

I have a filling loop fitted, the system pressure is low after the boiler has cycled a few times, less than 1 bar showwing on the prerssure gauge.

I want to increase the AIR PRESSURE in the Pressure vessel. I have no water leaks in the system or boiler and noting is venting to drain.

So can anyone tell me how to accurately measure the prerssure in the pressure vessel and adjust the pressure without having to resort to expensive call out charges..

Belive me I wish I had found this site before calling out BG as well.

Sponsored Links
A full explanation of how to repressurise the expansion vessel is given in the FAQ which is usually listed in the key topics at the top of each page.

However rather perversly its missing today. Possibly because its being worked on? I will report this to the moderators who can investigate.

You dont have to read the whole forun to find about your boiler, just search on your boiler model adding if you like a key work like expansion or pressures.

To aid you further there is now a list of similar topics at the bottom of the page.

Whilst finding the return filter is blocked may have been exciting to you its only what hundreds of people every year check after reading the existing postings about your model. I doubt you would find it very exciting for me to list all the common boiler faults which I repair every day.

Tony

As the home page says... Regarding the forum

Are you working on your own DIY project? Share experiences, tips, ideas, and frustrations with others, discuss projects and ask questions. You have the facility to join a group already discussing a subject area or start your own topic.

I wont bother posting on here again, Agile has made the whole experience less than welcoming....

you can measure the expansion vessel pressure using using normal car foot pump, dont forget this has to be done with the system drained of pressure. if you get water out of the valve it can mean a new vessel is needed also the pressure relief valve may need changing.

ps are u the robin hough that used to work at vauxhall in the paint shop.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back