BCO Fees

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im assuming that BCO inspection fees vary from region to region, but what can I expect to pay for them to come & check that my wiring meets the standards?

work hasnt been started yet but ther'l be a cable from the house to the shed, 4 way consumer unit, around 8 double sockets & 3 light fittings.

Sponsored Links
couldnt find it on website, rung council who put me thru to put me thru etc etc.

i did some waffling & gonna be £207 inc VAT. i asked the question that if im doin the work and they are happy with it will i then need a qualified sparky round to test it etc. he said no we will issue a certificate.

having read on here it seems to be a total minefield. i expected this:

myself & friend (unqualified sparky) do the leccy work
leave it all open for BCO to inspect - GREEN light
then i need to get a qualified sparky round to issue the certificate
this then gets passed onto BCO who fully sign it off

You expected wrongly.

The fee you pay includes the LABC doing the check and testing.

What should happen is:

You do first fit.
BCO (or their appointed person) checks it.
You do second fit.
BCO (or their appointed person) tests and inspects and issues cert.

Some LABC depts are illegally forcing people to do it the way you suggested though.

Sponsored Links
The BCs should inspect and test the install that is what you have paid for, normally and electrician wouldn't touch an installation that has been designed and installed by another.
Weigh up your options, it's going to cost 207 pound for BCs notification and inspection, test, certs.
The material cost without trade discounts, then your labour time on top.
Get some quotes off some registered electricians and see what makes most senses.
Not putting you off DIYing it, but if it's costs not always cheaper to DIY.
Plus it should be hassle free......

Amusingly Wyre seem to be one of the councils that are acting illegally...

http://www.wyrebc.gov.uk/Page.aspx?PvnID=58694&PgeID=55171&BrdCb=1-1447-1448[/QUOTE]

They certainly do.

Where the work is carried out by an unregistered electrician or is a DIY installation, the applicant is required to have the work inspected and tested by a registered electrician as in (a) above.

If you really want to get your local council involved, take them to task on this and demand that they follow the rules if you're going to be handing over an extortionate amount of money to them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back