BEAM ? LINTEL ? RSJ ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
BEAMS/ LINTELS/ RSJ etc etc !!

AS you can see from my name i'm no building expert.
I have unfortunately found out recently i have a long term problem with my roof valleys and water has been leaking into my loft and soaked through the celing of my bedroom and that the beam running along my bedroom ceiling closest to the front window is extremely damp.
How do i find out if this beam is steel or timber ?
Can it be dried out ?
Will it have to be replaced ?
How much would this cost ?? Help!
I realise i already have to pay for new valleys which scared me but now somone has suggested the beam would potentiall be the bigger job! Ouch!

Sponsored Links
new to this site but wil;l try get some pics up if thats possible !?
May take me a while at moment unfortunately.
Any further advice best guesses gladly received !

You won't know about the beam until you get a good look at it. You might be able to get at it when the old valley lining is removed. If not, and it's not visible from the loft, you could remove a bit of ceiling. If it needs replacing it will cost ten grand - or maybe a bit less.

Sponsored Links
hmmm ouch ...I guess there might be some alternatives if it isnt rotting and its condition isnt too bad ? Not sure what those would be though !
....hopefully it wont be as bad as that but will be making closer inspections.
cheers

p.s. also forgot to mention its a 1930's semi incase would throw any light on it !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back