Becoming A Qualified Electrician

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having always done everything myself at home or for friends, I would now like to get some formal trade qualifications (I'm a Construction QS as a full-time job).

I would like to begin with becoming a qualified electrician. I am not looking into following a career in this directly, but the knowledge will assist me for the rest of my life and will allow me to wire up my own houses safely and legally.

An apprenticeship is not an option due to the aforementioned full-time job. Hence, can anyone recommend a part-time training route and the options available to me please?

Sponsored Links
Ring up your local college about starting C&G 2330/2360 level 2 & 3. Should be a couple of nights a week but will take 3 years or so to complete part time. You wold also need to look at completing 17th edition and Inspection & Testing courses and then I think there is the AM2 (?) practical assessment.

Contact some local firms for to see if you can gain some on the job experience while at college. Unlikely to be paid though.

The other option is the DISQ route. This is what most people (I think) refer to as the "five day Part P" wonder course. :LOL: Not massively suited to anything too complex though (ie more industrial/commercial work) and you wouldn't be a qualified electrician but a domestic installer. Would still require 17th edition Inspection and Testing qualifications.

IMO the best route is probably via the local college.

3 years :eek:! Wow that's a long time! I shall investigate both these routes though. Thanks for the information. Would still appreciate feedback from others :).

I've just done some quick research and have found that many people are quite disappointed from what they gain from the NVQ courses in terms of new knowledge.

I have a degree in Construction & Quantity Surveying and am currently working towards being RICS accredited. I'm wondering whether this opens up my options at all?

I am merely looking for more knowledge and to be able to carry out installations legally without having to pay someone to come and inspect my work...

Sponsored Links
To certify your own work you need to be a member of a "competent persons" organisation like elecsa or NICEIS.

So looking at what they require for membership would be a good start.

you can legally install now, just need to notify work to building controls and pay the fee.
As far as knowledge is concerned, be honest do you think you can even partly learn the basics of domestical installations without taking a coures that will take two years plus.
2330 city and guilds level 2 is your starting point, 2 years part time (2 evenings a week for 36 weeks) or 18 months day release.

you can legally install now, just need to notify work to building controls and pay the fee.
As far as knowledge is concerned, be honest do you think you can even partly learn the basics of domestical installations without taking a coures that will take two years plus.
2330 city and guilds level 2 is your starting point, 2 years part time (2 evenings a week for 36 weeks) or 18 months day release.
Well I've learned at least 'the basics' over the last 10 years. The only thing I haven''t done to date in terms of domestic installs is wiring up to RCD's as I've never needed to.

I would just like something to backup my knowledge and obviously I would still learn more.

When you say pay the fee? Is this for someone to come and inspect your work?

The fee is for a building control notification. As part of this they will inspect the work and issue suitable certificates to say its been completed to an acceptable standard.

The fee is for a building control notification. As part of this they will inspect the work and issue suitable certificates to say its been completed to an acceptable standard.
Hence, this is what I wish to avoid by getting the appropriate 'license' myself.

in that case you will need qualification right up to Level 3.
2382, 2391/2. In short more than a little knowledge as you will need to inspect and test and fill in reports.
Then an enrolment fee with a scheme provider and public liability insurances.

No other way around it then I guess. Is there an annual fee with scheme providers? If so, any idea on the average cost of these?

Thanks for all the information. I shall get in contact with some local colleges.

Could you also comment on the 'Eal Domestic Installers Q' course? Is it worth the paper it is printed on?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back