BEKO washing machine gasket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently it got a rip in it so it started leaking from the bottom of the door (the cat is a suspect LOL). Anyway, unusually for me I decided to get a quote from a local (checkatrade) trader. He wanted £130 and as one can get a new one for about £25 mrs decided he was having a larf and told me to get on with it. Looked at Paul Charmbury's videos for half an hour and got on with it. It's a bit of a wrestle getting the retaining springs back on but in the end got the whole job done in about an hour. Conclusion, don't rely on checkatrade suggestions, some of their members are rip off merchants. Thing is, if he had asked for a sensible price, say £50/60, I would probably have given it to him.

Sponsored Links
I don't think you will be employing any sort of tradesman in the near future. It's not just the time he spends on the job that he has to charge for.

Thing is, if he had asked for a sensible price, say £50/60,
How can that in any way be a sensible price?

The part is £25, so you honestly expect someone to wrestle with a washing machine door seal for an hour or two for a measly £25 ?
They would end up with less than minimum wage.

Ahem, it took me less than an hour and I am not a "tradesman" in fact a decent tradesman who I watched on Youtube took about 15 minutes. As it happens my local garage charges £52/hour and they do a lot more than washing machines. This bloke was trying to charge me £100 for an hour's work tops, that's double what my garage charges therefore he was trying to rip me off. Guess what, I will never call him again.

Sponsored Links
Does your local garage come to your home & go and pick up parts for you?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back