Belfast Butler Sink Worktop Assistance Needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Currently looking into installing a butler/belfast sink in a utility room and im not too sure how the worktop will work.

Wife have already bought the sink and its huge (80cm wide ish) probably around 50cm deep.

The question is, does one normally purchase the worktop and then cut the shape out using a jig? What tools are used for this, i would guess that using a jigsaw would provide a rather nasty cutline but maybe i would need to get a better jigsaw?

Just curious as to how this is done.

L

Sponsored Links
Use a router to cut the cutout in the work top. You don't need a jig for the opening for a belfast sink as the opening doesn't butt up against another worktop like it does when you make a joint.

Make sure you get a router with a half inch collet so that you can use a proper worktop bit.

Thats awesome

Second (follow up) question regarding the support of this worktop. I've not measured it at all the run has enough room for washing machine, then sink and then tumble dryer.

This theoretically means that the worktop will have nothing to sit on top of. Can you buy the small supporting bits? If so what are they called, in the majority of rooms a worktop would sit on a couple of drawer units.

In my existing kitchen the worktop looks like it is held up by just 1cm bits of wood placed in between each unit. Is there some sort of arm bracket thing at the back?

Sponsored Links
You could run some battens at the back and sides of the worktop, screwed into the wall.

Additionally a piece of furniture board between the 2 appliance will help support it. I always have called these end panels, and have them either side of my appliances helping support the worktop

Follow up question on the sink regarding the worktop. Should the worktop flow around the sink ie top of sink higher than the worktop? Or should the worktop sit on top of the rim of the sink?

Thinking about cleaning here, if the sink rim is above then cleaning should be easier as i could mastic between where the sink meets the worktop.

Whats the preferred method of installing/deploying the worktop for these things, i have seen both

The worktop should sit on top of the sink. I don't think you'd ever get a decent fit of the worktop around the sink.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back