Bell wire fusing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, i have a typical wired doorbell setup, the transformer is a m412 RDL next to the consumer unit. My biggest concern is the output from this the transformer is not fused, it just wires directly into the chime as you would expect, then from the chime a cable to the bell push. I know its extremely unlikely that the bell wire would ever become damaged or short circuit, but if it did i worry it would just melt as there is no fuses visible on the transformer output, unless its internal in the transformer like a thermal type?
I know the output is around 8 to 12v, but in the event of a short circuit I somehow doubt the ouput would have sufficient current to trip the b6 circuit breaker on the mains side and i fear the bell wire would just melt.
Is it common/ likely that bell wire is unfused? Or will the transformer have some form of protection for the output built internally like a polyswitch or something similar?
Thanks.
I will see if i can get pictures of the set up later on.

Sponsored Links
Some transformers have fuses in their outputs. Some don't. The transformer would not be able to supply sufficient current to melt the bellwire but may get hot itself. It may have some other internal protection, who knows.

Thanks i can appreciate there are many different transformers so here is a some pictures of what i have.
20191009_130957.jpg 20191009_131101.jpg 20191009_131108.jpg
Hopefully some may have seen or have used this transformer. As you can see there are no visible fuses, could there perhaps be some protection inside this transformer for the outputs?
20191009_131330.jpg This is the chime obviously i was thinking of putting one of these20191009_131525.jpg inside the chime unit in line with one of the wires coming from the transformer. How power hungry are these chimes generally ? Would a 1 amp fast blow do the trick?
Thanks

Last edited:
As you seem to be worried about the bell wire becoming short circuit the fuse should be at the transformer output not in the chime.

Sponsored Links
I will try fit it at the transformer, the reason i said chime is i am unsure the inline fuse will fit.
Will a 1 amp fast blow do?
Thanks

yeah, Id use a slow blow

but its all rather pointless. I'm sure they test them with the output shorted.
They probably have a thermal fuse

Low current output transformers usually have a built in fuse but, after this blows, the transformer is useless and must be replaced.

I think that the smallest in line fuse available locally is 650 ma. You could measure the current when you operate the bell-push and select a suitable in-line fuse based on that reading.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back