Bending PolyPlumb Barrier Pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to start installing pipework for my new bathroom & CH installations, and while I've done plenty of DIY plumbing before (using copper compression fittings), I've never used plastic fittings, but have decided to try PolyPlumb push-fit fittings & pipe (below floor/out of sight) mixed with copper where it is visible.

I am going to use barrier pipe for the CH, and to avoid having to buy two sorts, intended using it for the H&C supplies in the bathroom too. Is that OK?

I was also wondering whether to use elbows to turn corners, or whether I'd have less friction/resistance by just bending the pipe around corners where there is space to do so. Every join avoided saves money and reduces the risk of leaks. Around what sort of radius should I expect to be able to bend 15mm barrier pipe without distorting the pipe and restricting flow? How about 22mm (for the main CH pipes)?

Sponsored Links
The only way you'll get tight bends (radius 8x pipe diameter) is by using preformed bend supports such as these ;
http://www.tradingdepot.co.uk/DEF/product/!!PLUPB6315!!/
They are available for both 15 and 22mm pipe.
Otherwise you can only expect to get "lazy" long bends such that minimum bending forces are being subjected onto other fittings.

Thanks: very useful info. The bend formers are just what I need to save some money & time!

Sponsored Links
You can make bends in barrier pipe without 'cold forming bends', but it is best to clip it as soon as it is straight and them another clip a few inches along. (4 clips per bend.)

This ensures that the bend holds its shape and doesn't exert pressure on the adjacent fitting. It is also cheaper than cold forming bends.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back