Best 10.8v pack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
i want a set of 10.8v tools.
Drill/driver and impact driver.
There's plenty of twin packs around, and i'm drawn to the Bosch due to the great reviews they get.
However, from what i understand the brushless ones are 'better' for softer loads, and longevity/battery life etc. Whereas the older, heavier brushed motors can handle more of the tougher jobs. Is that right?
the Bosch GSR 10.8 V-EC was what i was hanging my nose over. But it doesn't seem to come in a twin pack. I'm also a bit confused over the GSB and GSR drill/drivers in the 10.8 range. Where does GDR come into it?
If buying separates will give me the best tools (drill/driver and impact) then i'll do it that way.
They are basically so i don't have to lug my 18v Dewalt XR set around. And will no doubt do for kitchen and general DIY work.

All recommendations most appreciated, thanks :)

edit: i'll be using 2.0Ah batteries (not 1.5) and i may buy more tools in the 10.8 range that use the same batteries. Bosch also do a 4.0Ah one now.

Sponsored Links
i have most off the tools for the bosch blue 10.8v
brilliant kit wont let you down
the kit is now years old and some tools are on there third improved version
they do or used to do 1.3ah and now 1.5/2/2.5/4ah batteries

Thanks big-all.
I'm looking at the Bosch
GDR10.8-LI impact driver
and then either the;
GSB10.8-2-LI combi driver
or the
GSR10.8V-EC drill/driver.

Just not sure which to get out of those. Don't imagine doing much masonry drilling with it and the shorter length of the GSR is quite a benefit when drilling through joists in the ceiling. I guess they'd both drill the same in wood.

for the extra £20 or so quid i would have the hammer drill
i have all 3

unless you are going for many large screws the impact can wait they will all put in 4" screws
but the impact will carry on when the others run out off puff but its noisy

what exactly are you planning on doing with them ??
ik use ffx quite a lot
http://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/refine/-/1/2

Sponsored Links
funny enough my hammer drill and drill driver are the opposite
as in the hammer is a gsb 10.8.2.li
and d/driver is a gsr.10.8.2.li
they both look identical apart from the extra ring to select between hammer drill and screw which off course makes it 15mm longer
and although the chuck look fairly identical with a quick look are slightly different
apart from the chuck speck at the front printed back to front on one over the other the only difference seems to be a step at the back off the chuck to allow it to recoil for the hammer action to work

I don't really have 'exact' use for them.
They will be more for jobs that the bigger 18v aren't needed for, weight and size wise. Saves me hefting a large DeWalt box around.

Drilling 16mm holes into say 10 joists to lay 15mm pipe or leccy cables.
Building kitchen/bedroom units.

Just like the idea of having a smaller set around that due to its smaller weight and footprint i can chuck into a toolbag.

ha ha yes i have dewalt 18v and the exact reason for the bosch was lighter more compact easy to carry

one advantage with the 4 hour battery is the drills will stand up lol

the 10.8 are a compromise they punch above there weight fairly close to 18v by lower gearing so will take about 20-30% longer
i think both the d/driver and the hammer drill will both easily get in the 350mm gaps between joists at 400 centers

i will try a 16mm spade bit on a 2" joist and time it for you later lol

both hammer drill and drill driver 1300 rpm 7 seconds 0n a scaffold board
dewalt 18v 3 speed 2000 rpm 5 seconds

i am not on facebook but apparently they sometimes do 5 or 10% off codes for specific weekends

the bosch 10.8v is great. like al, I have lots of the tools, hammer drill, torches, inspection camera, jigsaw etc.

the drill will do 16mm thru 2" joist but if I had to do more than 2 holes I'd go to my van for my 18v makita

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back