Best caulking for painting over

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've struggled over the years with caulking when I paint over it. You can either see as I couldn't get a smooth even finish or it pulls up similar to silicone.

What is the best caulking for getting a nice smooth finish and accepting a good oil paint finish on external windows.

Richard

Sponsored Links
You might be be better looking at frame sealant most are paintable, just check the tube.
Wickes do one as do many other outlets.
Wickes Ultimate Window & Door Sealant White 290ml

For many years I used to use "painter's Mate". Then they changed the formula. It would start pilling at the outer edges as you smoothed it and Dulux Trade emulsion would crack over the top of the caulk.

I tried numerous other brands. Some had tiny air bubbles in them. Some would craze as soon as you applied waterbased paints over them. Some tasted awful.

I eventually found Everbuild 125 (which at the time was only 79p at Toolstation). I recently had to buy a 380ml tube of 125. The first thing I noticed was that the caulk keeps oozing out of the tube even if you remove it from the caulking gun. I have had up to 10cm ooze out. It still smooths nicely but I have noticed that emulsion sometimes crazes over it. I keep meaning to contact Everbuild to complain. I am hoping that it is bad batch but I am not so sure.

The last alternative that I tried was Everbuild Caulk Once (£2.89 at Toolstation). I was impossible to get a smooth finish at the edges and it causes the emulsion to craze.

Sponsored Links
You might be be better looking at frame sealant most are paintable, just check the tube.
Wickes do one as do many other outlets.
Wickes Ultimate Window & Door Sealant White 290ml

That looks like a MS polymer. Whilst they have their uses, they are often quite sticky and need to be primed with waterbased paint. Mind you they have the advantage of not shrinking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back