best edging between plant border and grass?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just dug a border at the edge of the lawn. It's striaght and then has a curved bit at the end. I am thinking of putting in some sort of edging to create a barrier between the lawn and the new bed. anyone have any suggestions for what to use? I was thinking of individual bricks stacked vertically, but that's too much hassle as the length of the space is approx. 7m. I then thought of one of those log roll things which are the perfect height and will easily go around the curve. anyone have any other suggestions? if I used the log roll then when I come to mow the lawn will I get a messy edge as the mower will have to stop short of the logs. is there a way around this? also, what's the best way to fit a log roll so that it doesn't lean over? whenever i have seen them they always seem to be leaning.

Sponsored Links
log roll is really naff. never looks good and you cant mow up to it. The best edging in my opinion is to use some sort of block paving or class B engineering (frost proof) bricks laid as a mowing strip, which the mower can run along.

if you are going to use log roll then peg it and screw it into the pegs before backfilling the trench. Im with Wabbitpoo in that in most gardens it doesnt look good. A better option is to use stock bricks slanted at an angle to do a dogtooth edging. they can be laid in a very small trench dry, and then pour postmix in behind them to secure them in place. Or you could go for victorian rope top edging, or roofing slates look quite nice. Or straight timber pegged in place...or....or....or :LOL:

>>block paving or class B engineering (frost proof) bricks laid as a mowing strip, which the mower can run along.

so you mean they should be level with the turf so that the mower can go over it?

The block paving stood vertically sounds good. does any brickwork need a foundation or concrete?

victorian rope edging in nice, but it would be difficult to go around curves.
(one of the advantages or log roll... though i admit it isn't the best looking option.

Sponsored Links
blocks or bricks laid flat, just below the level of the grass. that way you can run the mower along them. admittedly thats no use if your soil is higher than the lawn. there's no right way or wrong way to do it - just make sure that whatever you use is well fixed in place and is neat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back