Best insulation for sloping roof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a small additional attic bedroom with a sloping roof, the insulation is poor and I want to replace it with something better. On TV I have seen an ad with someone unrolling a fully enclosed "quilt" in a long narrow shape, designed to go between the joists. What is this called and is it widely available? We have access from above and below the slope so I reckon I can cut it into lengths, seal the ends with tape then pull it down into the space between roof and ceiling from below.

A second question: we have about 8" of glass wool throughout the main attic and I'd like to add some more. However I understand that adding more gives diminishing returns, so I reckon I would do better to lay some kind of dense but light blanket on top of the existing wool so as to trap warm air like a duvet. Does anything like this exist?

Sponsored Links
On TV I have seen an ad with someone unrolling a fully enclosed "quilt" in a long narrow shape, designed to go between the joists. What is this called and is it widely available?
Loft insulation

Yes

:confused:

8" is plenty.

I have seen an ad with someone unrolling a fully enclosed "quilt" in a long narrow shape, designed to go between the joists.

Space blanket, usually available as BOGOF in most of the sheds. Designed to go between joists, but you seem to be describing rafters?

Much better to use board insulation (kingtex or cellospan etc etc) for in-roof insulation. You will probably need to maintain an airgap towards the 'outside' Will it be fitted against tiles/slates or roofing felt?

Yes, between plasterboard and roofing felt. Whatever I use I will need to get it up into the tiny attic above the room then slide it down the space between the sloping ceiling and the roof so something rigid probably won't work.

Sponsored Links
Remove the plasterboard, it's cheap and easy enough to replace. Rigid boards will provide better insulation values, and you'll be able to ensure that no contact is made with the felt (Standard gap between felt and insulation is min. 50mm)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back